do you think organ donor should be law?

with all the young children/adults dying from life threatening diseases and all it takes is a donor to give them back there life should it be law that when we die they can take our organs?

i know its our loved ones but should we?

Best Answer

I've been in need of one organ or another my whole life. I'm only 17 and I'm lucky to have managed this long. And I have to say, I completely disagree with you. Yes, there are people out there who need organs. I'm in the market for a kidney right now, but besides from religious beliefs there are a lot of people who just don't agree with organ donations. I know it sounds strange but it's a very personal thing. Every time I get an organ there is always the horrible feeling of knowing that it's not mine. Sometimes my boyfriend holds me close and tells me my heart is beating fast. It makes me cry thinking about who this heart used to beat faster for.

If there was a system of opt in instead of opt out a lot of people just wouldn't opt out, I know this might sound better to some people but it would be so much harder for the families of the deceased. And in emergency situations organs might be taken by mistake.

Basically I think it would hurt more people than it would help.

It is wide open to misuse by those in charge.

If donation is law, then someone would use a triage percentage survival chance in the case of say a car crash victim.

If the % were say under 30, and a recipient was say 60% upon receiving donation then bingo the decision is made.

Also, should there be a person in a temporary coma due to head trauma (say), and a politician or someone self important had a relative that required an organ or would die.

If that person was compatible with the person in the coma, do you not think that political pressure, threats, blackmail or bribery would be applied to have the coma victim die.

Sorry, but there is too much fiddling and misappropriation with money (and we know that very few in charge can be trusted with that), we are talking life here.

By the way, the Human is a very tough creature. That 30% could quite easily survive and live well with nurturing.

Not many coma victims stay in coma, most wake up normally.

I think its some thing you shouldn't be told you have to be a donor, its some thing you should be happy doing not some thing you might have to be forced to do some day by law. I'm pretty sure some religions like Jehovah witnesses are against sharing blood and origins with other people ( i don't really know allot about the religion so im going from memory of about 3 years ago)

• Mutt

No it should not be the law. It is for very good intentions, but some people's religion forbids it. Do we tell these people that they cannot practice their religion because it could save a life? The what other freedoms do we take away from people for the safety and protection of people?

It is and should remain a personal decision. I have made that decision and have it on record to donate my organs if they are usable after I die.

• bud

no it shouldn`t be law, but if it was made the law that you had to refuse to be a donor there would be more people coming forward for that, I keep saying I would see into becoming a donor but never have yet, I think most people don`t care either way so if some are totally against it then they should carry a non donor card.

• googie

No! The desecration of a body is up to the individual who owns that body. Don't we have enough interference from Knot heads we have elected without someone asking for ones organs? There is the law of nature that has to be followed." One is born, lives his life and dies." Some die sooner. Others die later. We are all destined with that fate as are all living things.

• Desi

No. I am an organ donor myself but some are against it for many personal reasons, religion, etc. For those reasons I disagree with it being law.

I would personally want to be a donor but I don't think it should be law.

Loads of people's religions say that if they done their organs then they won't be able to go to heaven or equivalent. You can't really go against the religious beliefs that they've practised all their life.

• Carrie

No. That would be another step towards loss of free will. There are many religious and personal issues to be considered, and nobody should ever be forced to agree to a loved one donating. Most people are in favour of it anyway, and there's a lot of comfort to be gained from knowing a part of the deceased lives on. But we must not allow our freedom and right to choose to be curbed - who knows where it would stop?

hell no! Yes it is a dam shame but now we are trying to look for a cure for death and this sort of question seems to be the first step to solving that solution. I personally dont know wheter or not i would give mine, but we dont know what happens after death, so, i ask you, what do you think of this (and please theorise)

Say there is alife after death, but you havent got any eyes????? That would suck because some guy in california has got them, so now you have to go and find him and get your eyes back, a slight joke i know but it could.....could... be true.

Furthermore from a religious point of view, the human body is a sacred temple to some (Budists) and i do not think they would want it. although to some others this body is just a case, a shell.

BUT!!!! and i conclude my short random ramble - I think its wise to have a choice in anything as serious as that, yeah, tax is compulsary, yeah you have to wear a seatbelt but something as morally and socially seroius as dismemberment should indefinately and non arguably be a choice.

however, by all means, get people to apply more pressure, just keep the choice :D

Have a nice day