TTC baby #3!!! asked in PetsRodents · 1 decade ago

How do i get rid of mice? they are under my floorboards!?

I dont know what else it could be! iv only just moved into this house and its not an old house, but my friend lives nearby and said she often has them in winter. Im petrified of them and last night i was laid in bed and could hear them scratting against floorboards and the underneath of my bedroom carpet i hardly slept a wink!! would a cat be of any use? my friend says she puts traps and poison down every year but it does not help they eventually just go on their own after xmas time!!! i cant live like this for another 2-3 months!! help me please!

Favorite Answer

Mira is right. All holes & cracks need to be patched. If you can fit your pinky finger in it, a mouse can fit in it! Get some wire mesh & some tape, glue, staple gun (depending on if you're attaching it to concrete, wood, etc) and go around your foundation. Leave 1 spot open so that you can reach in & out with traps, etc.

Snap traps are still the best. Get the plastic kind. They're easier to reuse, hose off, etc. Peanut butter is the best bait I've ever used.

If you do get a cat, make sure it can't get to the traps - it could break it's poor little toes!

Cats can be a help, but I've noticed all my cats do is alert me to where they've seen a mouse. They never actually catch it, but my trap does every time!

Good luck!

• vagle

Mice Under Floorboards

I have the same problem. You could either get a pest control person in to assess if it is really mice, and then they could tell you what would be the best course to take, but I have just had to lay mouse baits. We bought Talon wax bait blocks, they get nailed to a spot so the mice cant drag them around and then the dog get the bait. Do you have pets? If the mice are under the floor boards, you can put baits in a secure bait box, but you will need to replace the baits once they are eaten, maybe that is where your friend went wrong?

If you live in the US, tomcat has a mouse-bait out that is safe for pets, its a vitamin d3 bait, if you live in australia we will have that bait here in 6 mths time, otherwise it will just be using normal mouse bait.

Also make sure you don't leave any food around for the mice, nothing outside or inside.

Good luck

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I dont know what else it could be! iv only just moved into this house and its not an old house, but my friend lives nearby and said she often has them in winter. Im petrified of them and last night i was laid in bed and could hear them scratting against floorboards and the underneath of my bedroom...

Source(s): rid mice floorboards: https://shortly.im/TPsWf

Here is the best way to get rid of your mice problem. Lift the floorboards and leave the following: a large tray of peanut butter & the cotton stuffing found inside pillows. This should take care of them for good.

Lay a couple of traps under your bed with some seed (or) as bait.

I guarantee they are getting around your house more than u realise, they must have a foodsource.

A cat will help for sure, or even an exterminator.

yes a cat will help use some good traps and use a soft sticky toffee on the trap go for the old fashioned ones that SNAP down. look for droppings usualy they run right up against your wall and behind warm places example behind your fridge, they are probably getting around your house , but you dont realise it. check the traps as often as possible, and also lay some piosen down, behind kickplates on your kitchen units is a good place. good luck.

Source(s): lived in a wee cottage in the middle of the Scottish country side for 3 years and dealt with them this way.

Have your handyman / landlord patch all of the holes and small entryways to keep the mice out. Don't forget to exterminate and good luck!

I'd say call an exterminator

They can also get rid of them humanely as well I believe if you don't want to hurt them

Get a Cat, Get some glue traps and put peanut butter on them and I would put rat poison under you house