Sharp Pain: Lower Left Abdomen?

I have, for the last few months, been experiencing excruciatingly sharp pain in my lower left abdomen - like a hot knife stabbing. It's down low, nearly on my hip, and the 'attacks' of pain last from twenty minutes to two hours at a time. I'm not having any toilet trouble, or pain elsewhere, but around my period it... show more I have, for the last few months, been experiencing excruciatingly sharp pain in my lower left abdomen - like a hot knife stabbing. It's down low, nearly on my hip, and the 'attacks' of pain last from twenty minutes to two hours at a time. I'm not having any toilet trouble, or pain elsewhere, but around my period it is worse. Anyone know anything?
Update: I appreciate your answers, but please read. It is not just around my period, it is just WORSE at that time. It is not my appendix, wrong area for that. It seems to feel better if I press firmly onto it. I am not sexually active, it's not an ectopic pregnancy. I'm not on birth control, as I am not sexually... show more I appreciate your answers, but please read. It is not just around my period, it is just WORSE at that time. It is not my appendix, wrong area for that. It seems to feel better if I press firmly onto it.
I am not sexually active, it's not an ectopic pregnancy. I'm not on birth control, as I am not sexually active.
Update 2: Also it's not gallstones, I said Lower Left. Not "Everywhere Else". I'm sorry if I'm being harsh but honestly, this pain is making it hard to be civil.