mccains views on gay marriage?

does anyone know where i can find mccains views on the issue of gay marriage?

thanks everyone that helped me out with my paper

Favorite Answer

Look on his website, or better yet watch him talking about it on the Ellen show.

McCain is against both gay marriage and civil unions. He says gay people should have "contracts" to allow for stuff like shared assets, hospital visitation rights, etc.

Sounds good, except that every competent adult in America already has the right to enter into contracts, they don't need his permission. What he doesn't say is that there are plenty of rights and benefits that can't be contracted for, like SS survivorship benefits, health insurance, etc..This is the real reason I think gay people really want to have government recognized unions in the first place.

Senator McCain has spoken on this many times. He is not in favor of same-gender marriages; but he also does not support a federal constitutional amendment to this effect. His position is that this is a matter for the states to decide. I am not certain whether he's been asked about same-gender domestic partnerships or not.

Sen Obama has also said that he does not favor same-gender marriage, yet he does support domestic partnerships which would give the partners the same legal rights and responsibilities that married couples have. I think Sen Obama just doesn't want to call this marriage for some reason or another even though he favors the domestic partnership thing. He's never explained what he sees as the difference between a marriage and a domestic partnership to be.

• Rhonda

They are both against it but Obama is only against it because he knows it is political suicide to say he is for it. He wants gays to have the same rights, benefits, blah blah blah.....Hopefully when he is president he will change the laws against gay marriage. and in case he is reading this.....Obama, I agree that marriage is a religious institution and we have no right to interfere with religious ceremonies. That being said, there is a separation of church and state in this country (though the line has faded quite a bit) so I purpose that from here on out this government recognizes civil unions, giving civil unions the exact same rights as marriages have now, and marriages can be institutions recognized only by the churches or religions the parties belong to. It doesn't necessarily mean you have to go out and have two ceremonies, just that the license filed with your town from now on will read "Civil Union" no matter if it is for a homosexual or heterosexual couple. I also have a plan for recognizing polygamy but we will save that when we have lunch some time. Sorry I don't have a URL

John McCain - In 2004, McCain voted against the Federal Marriage Amendment, arguing that each state should be able to choose whether to recognize same-sex marriages. He supported the 2006 Arizona initiative to ban homosexual marriage.

Barack Obama - Obama voted against the Federal Marriage Amendment which would have defined marriage as between one man and one woman, but personally believes that marriage is a religious bond between a man and a woman. He supports civil unions for same-sex couples which would be homosexual marriage in all but name, but believes that decisions about the name marriage should be left to the states.

Obama and McCain are both against gay marriage we agree!!

Neither candidate supports gay marriage, I'm afraid to say.

He does not believe in gay marriage, none of the candidates do. But none of them are opposed to civil unions.

Same as Obama's. The candidates agree on this issue.

neither McCain or Obama of them plan to do anything one way or another

Yes. Ask the dyke he married