Craig M asked in PetsFish · 1 decade ago

Fish opinions and stuff?

ok i have a 29 (i think) gallon tank and the local pet Store told me to start of with 3-5 fish. i know im going to start of with a red sword tail and some blue fish that gets along with everything, but im debating my third one... should i get one of the small pufferfishes, a african albino frog, or a frewshwater flounder???

7 Answers

Relevance
  • John
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Well, you need to do some research. "Blue fish" is not a specific kind of fish. It could be anything. Puffers will rip your swordies and probably all of the other fish in there to pieces, not to mention that the only strictly freshwater puffer you can put in that tank is the dwarf puffer, which gets only about an inch long. DPs should be kept with other DPs for the most part. All other puffers that you could fit in that tank, or even buy, are going to be brackish or marine. Freshwater flounders are actually brackish too. African clawed frogs, which are sold in an albino variation, need colder water than tropical fish. ACFs need between 70-75 degrees Fahrenheit, while tropical fish need around 80. You won't be able to keep any of those fish you just listed.

Edit: Depending on the species, some freshwater flounders only grow to 4". Still brackish though, so a no to a freshwater tank.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

your freshwater flounder (which will only get around 6" long)really needs to be in brackish water not feshwater....sorry it also eats other fish. Steer clear of the flounder.

Also, puffer with these fish is also not a good idea with sword tails. go with the frog.

You need to do more research as to what fish can go into the tank. and only start with 3 fish not 5. Adding too many fish too quickly or at one time could spike your biofilter.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

flounders get huge. They cant live in tanks. You should actually start with just 2 fish and in 2 weeks or so, add another 2 until you reach your desired amount. puffer fish get kind of agressive when they grow older and prefer to live alnoe so you might want to think twice about getting that one.

Source(s): fish keeper
  • Andre
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

well if you talking about dwarf puffer fish they will kill any thing so no to that and a flounder eats stuff off the bottom and just needs a fine bottom with few platns and the frog i dont know

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Josh
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Do not get an albino frog. They get aggressive when they grow up. Pufferfish are not from beginners. Try

guppies

platies

tetras

rasboras

corydoras!!

gouramis. Hope I helped!

• 1 decade ago

Go to auspet.com to look at their chart to see what fish can be kept with your sword tail.

They have fish photos to see the fish and they tell you about the fish as well. Good luck with your fish.

• 1 decade ago

a freshwater flounder!!!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.