Anne
Anne asked in Family & RelationshipsWeddings · 1 decade ago

Wedding gown shopping suggestions...?

Just going to start looking for the wedding gown for a june 2009 wedding. Where do we begin? How did you choose what bridal salon you would use? Or did you go to a bunch and compare gowns and prices?

What has been your experience with David's Bridal - they seem to be everywhere - how are their quality of gowns, customer service, the trying on the gowns experience, etc... would you recommend going there?

Any suggestions, experiences appreciated!

Favorite Answer

I'm a bridal consultant, so I sell wedding gowns in a small, independent boutique. Here's some suggestions I give all my brides.

1. Go to lots of different stores, definitely check out David's, along with smaller boutique stores as well. Make appointments, and plan on roughly an hour per appointment. Go during the week if at all possible, Saturday's are absolutely the worst day, you'll get much better service on a weekday. People seem to think that David's has the best prices, and they frequently do, but a small store has negotiating power that David's doesn't have. I have a lot of brides who bought their dress from David's, but got accessories elsewhere. It seems their dresses are really inexpensive, but you can get better deals on the rest someplace else. NEVER get alterations done at David's. They're more than twice what a seamstress would charge.

2. Have a general idea of what you're wanting, how formal your wedding will be, etc. Are you having a destination wedding? Do you want a big, puffy ballgown or something more sleek? Take pictures from bridal magazines as well, both of stuff you like and don't like.

3. Have a general idea of budget, how much can you spend here? Remember, the wedding dress is just part of your clothing for your wedding day, you will probably want a veil and headpiece, you might need some kind of crinoline slip (if you get a large ballgown), you also need to plan for shoes and alterations.

4. Wear a strapless bra, and shoes that are about the height you're planning on wearing. If you have a body issue (like a few lumps in the tummy area) that you want to conceal, wearing a pair of Spanx undergarments and a strapless bra will make all the difference in the world how a dress will look on you.

5. Bring a digital camera. In most stores (but ask first!) they will allow you to take a picture of yourself in dresses you're considering. It really helps make your mind up, you look different in the photo than you do in the mirror.

6. Finally, a few don'ts. Don't bring too many folks with you. As a general rule, the brides who bring in tons of people with them, have a much harder time making a decision. Don't rule out a dress that the consultant brings you that you think looks horrible on the hanger. I can't tell you how many times I've shown a dress to a bride, she's not liking it, I get her to put it on, and lo and behold--it's THE dress. We know bodies, we know women's figures, and we know our stock. We know what we have that will look good on you. Trust us. Don't buy from a store that pressures you to buy today--if you're not sure, go home and sleep on it. While I want brides to buy from my store, I certainly don't want her to regret the decision after we've ordered her non-refundable dress. This is the most expensive dress you'll ever wear, and hopefully it's the only time you'll wear a wedding dress, so choose carefully.

Good luck, and have fun dress shopping!

Source(s): I've been a bridal consultant for many years.

I'm planning on using David's Bridal for the bridesmaid dresses and will probably look at wedding gowns there as well. For my wedding gown I have 3-4 shops in mind in the same area. I plan to hit them all on the same day hopefully and choose the best of the bunch. I'm on a small budget though so that narrows it down for me a lot.

You are way ahead of me though, I have done very little and my wedding is going to be before that!

I recently had the gown shopping experience. I'm getting married 8-22-09. I did go to David's Bridal, it was the 1st place I went to. I had found a dress there that I thought I loved and the price was good too. But I needed to look around before settling on one. I also went to Bride's by Demetrious. They had alot of nice gowns too. I would not suggest David's Bridal. Even though their prices are reasonable, they get you with the alterations. They seemed nice when I was there, helpful, but very persistant, wanting me to purchase it, saying,"isn't this the gown of your dreams?" My 3rd bridal store was a small store that's owned by this very nice lady who does all the alterations, which are included , no extra charge. I found my gown there and my BM dresses. I would suggest shopping around. Also, look online to get some ideas. If you have any small bridal stores in your area check those too. I started out telling myself I wasn't going to spend alot of money on my gown, but when I finally found it, I really didn't care about the price. It was over double what the gown at David's Bridal wanted, but I knew I was getting a quality gown with expert alterations.

• Rosy

Personally, I started by looking at bridal magazines and seeing what I liked and what I didn't like.

I fell in love with a dress, actual price about $7,000.

Then I went to see a seamstress and she said that it would cost $3,500.

Finally I went to David's Bridal, I tried on a few dresses and they have good quality. The only thing is that the same dress will be worn by a lot of diffrent brides.

Also, the customer service sucks because they will be very nice when they want you to buy the things. But, after they made the sale, they really don't care. They lie and say that it will take 8 to 10 weeks for your dress to come in so you need to order it asap. Then two weeks later they call and say pick it up because we don't have room in our warehouse. They get upset if you don't get any alterations and when it comes to the bustle it's an extra charge.

If you only buy the dress, they keep on bugging you to order everything from David's Bridal.

I loved my dress, but if I was getting married again I would not go there.

The same thing was said by Husband's cousin, they messed up the order of her bridesmaid's dresses. She warned me but I went anyway and boy was I sorry.

Good Luck and Congratulations.

My wedding is in June also! Congratulations

My first suggestion is try on everything. Even if you think you will hate it. After trying of 30 dresses my mom begged me to try on 2 dresses that I had turned down. I finally agreed! Guess what those 2 dresses were amazing. The best two out of all of them! I ended up buying one of them. I went to several dress shops in the surrounding area. I did not want to go to Davids Bridal b/c everyone goes there, but I did. That is where I bought the dress of my dreams. It is also unique b/c only a few David Bridals ordered it, it is a preview dress to see how it sells! I wish I could give you the style number, but it is not even in the catalog or online. If you do not plan on buying your bra from there I would go ahead and get one and wear it. Good Luck

• SChi25

I started bridal gown shopping with zero experience as well, so I know how you feel. After having tried tons of dresses on since then and having purchased my dress, here are some tips you should consider when you go shopping:

1. You might want to bring lots of people with you, but when you first go shopping, I would bring one or two trusted people who will be honest with you. Mom's are great, but they just cry and tell you that you look beautiful in everything. I took my one cousin with me, who was always honest, and it was nice because I didn't feel like I had about 20 opinions to deal with.

2. Book appointments at every salon near you. During the first few times you go, try on every style dress out there, even if you think you'll hate it. Wedding dresses are higher quality than regular clothes, so they will fit you a LOT better. That was a big surprise to me. I thought I could only wear a ballgown style dress because of my hourglass figure, but I ended up purchasing a trumpet style dress, which shocked me.

3. Remember, you'll be in your underwear for the majority of your time at each salon, so wear nice panties! Haha. I know that sounds strange, but that never even crossed my mind the first time I went dress shopping. I usually wore nice boy shorts and a simple bra when I went.

4. Once you've decided on a style you like best after visiting a few stores, only try on those styles at future stores. Otherwise you'll overwhelm yourself. I probably could have picked three different dresses that were all different styles as THE dress, but it came down to what style looked best on me.

5. Have fun with it. It's a lot of work and can get frustrating if the sales consultants are sales pressure-y, but remember you only do this once, so milk it for all it's worth.

EDIT: Oops, forgot to add that I never went to David's Bridal. I went one time to look for bridesmaids dresses and was treated so poorly that I didn't go back.

• I bought everything from david's bridal, it was soooo easy and alot cheaper than anything i found anywhere else. I didnt have a single problem with anything and i liked the quallity of the items i bought there. The only thing is if you want something custom that no one has seen before you wont find it there. But other than that i found david's to be great, the service the employees, everything.

wow yes its about time you get looking. Davids Bridal is great in my oponion. I love the dresses and they have dresses for everyone!

Make an apt. and go in and look around and try some on. You do not have to take anyone with you the first time if you dont want. I ididn't I just went and got a lot of dresses then picked out my favorites. Then my mother and grandmother came in with me the 2nd time. and now ill be going back in Jan. to try on my final time and to order my dress. You can also go in as many times as you like. Good Luck and Congrads!!!

Source(s): b2b 07/11/09 oh and try to stay away from Saturdays, lol