How does income relate to how expensive a home you can afford?

what I mean is I was wondering what kind of yearly salary equates to a certain house range price. Like for example what is reasonable price range you could afford with a $50k salary? I am curious because I am a college student and want to know what kind of salary I would have to be earning for it to be realistic to... show more what I mean is I was wondering what kind of yearly salary equates to a certain house range price. Like for example what is reasonable price range you could afford with a $50k salary? I am curious because I am a college student and want to know what kind of salary I would have to be earning for it to be realistic to buy a house in the 1-1.4 million range within the next 20 years. Which will buy me a shack in my dream location of on the beach in Newport beach lol.

So for example my parents dual income is about $120k a year and they bought their house for $675,000. Is that about average or are they stretching themselves thin or could they likely afford more? There is obviously a lot of other factors such as how many kids and other expenses but I was wondering if there is a good average for a household income relating to house price range. So how much do you think I would have to be pulling in a year with little other expenses other than standard living costs, to buy my house within the next 20 years? Obviously assuming I would get raises along the way but the average salary I mean..
Update: And sooner would be good to know too, I just put 20 years cause I was trying to be as realistic as possible. Of course Id love to be able to afford it in 5-10 years
Update 2: And I should add without being in ridiculous debt or taking out extreme loans. I dont want to be stressed out or in a mess, my question was catered to being able to afford a certain price range relatively comfortably