What is the origin of the quote "People will always elect the government they deserve"?

Do I have that quote right? It's something like that.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • waynea
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The statement is often quoted as "In a democracy, people get the government they deserve," and often attributed to Alexis de Toqueville ... but it's hard to verify where he said it, and even whether he really did.

However, there is a similar and well-documented quotation by Joseph de Maistre: "Every country has the government it deserves (Toute nation a le gouvernement qu’elle mérite") One of the sources below gives its origin as de Maistre's

Lettres et Opuscules Inédits vol. 1, letter 53, written on 15 August 1811 and published in 1851.

Everybody likes to quote de Toqueville, & not that many ever heard of de Maistre. I suspect de Maistre is the real origin. Of course, it's possible de Toqueville said it, in quoting or paraphrasing de Maistre.

But I doubt that de Toqueville said it, simply because it doesn't sound like him. The tone of the remark is sarcastic or cynical, and de Toqueville's writings weren't like that. It wasn't his style.

• 4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

What is the origin of the quote "People will always elect the government they deserve"?

Do I have that quote right? It's something like that.

Source(s): origin quote people elect government deserve: https://biturl.im/IjgyH
  • 5 years ago

The quote goes way back in History .. Its a Bible short as in the Book of Judges ... The people got the leaders they deserved .. from then on people changed the way it was quoted ..

• 1 decade ago

i think this is it: "People can change the people in government"

which means " old saying that people get the government they deserve and therefore, it is the duty of the people, especially in a democracy, to elect right type of people to administer their country and if they elect casually, they shall not get right people."

good luck hope i have helped :)

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/X25sF

people in a democracy don't always get what they deserve because sometimes corrupt judges and electoral colleges disenfranchises the peoples vote

• 1 decade ago

People (U.S. Citizens especially) have the power to change the government, and if everybody complains about how bad a president is doing or the gov't is doing, it's their own faults for putting them in there in the first place.

• all people have the power to change their government. Having the power isn't the issue, the issue is one of will.

• 4 years ago

There have never been any large scale democracies in the history of the world, so we really don't know.

• 6 years ago

Socrates said it. Cicero re-iterated it ages later.

• DAVID5 years agoReport

Socrates lived in an era well before democracy, as we know it. I've certainly never come across it all the Socrates that I have read...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.