Swirl marks on paint job?

Ok so I bought a new trunk that is black from a salvage yard. It had a stain on the top where it looked like something was dripping on it for a long time.

1st I clay barred the area to see if it would come out but it did not.

2nd I used some rubbing compound to remove the stain. The stain is gone but I rubbed to hard and put swirl marks into the clear coat. Now the area is kind of hazy. Is there anything I can do to polish the area back to a glossy shine?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Andy
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

You could possibly have it power buffed with very fine polishing compound.I'd let a body shop try it as it's easy to ruin paint with a buffer if you don't know what your doing.If it's through the clear coat your going to need to have it re sprayed.Mothers does sell a paint ball and polish now that you use with a drill.You might try that for a cheaper fix.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

You may have ground through the clear coat, and it may never be right again. But you can try a product called Black Ebony which is formulated to remove swirl marks from compounding with any abraisive product. You can get it at any paint store that sells automotive finishes.

• 1 decade ago

After you use rubbing compound you need to go over it with polishing compound and then wax it.

• 1 decade ago

use a medium grit compound and gently buff it with an electric buffer. move on to a soft grit compund and repeat, finally use wax and repeat. should solve the problem.

Source(s): www.xowey.com
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.