Swirl marks on paint job?

Ok so I bought a new trunk that is black from a salvage yard. It had a stain on the top where it looked like something was dripping on it for a long time.

1st I clay barred the area to see if it would come out but it did not.

2nd I used some rubbing compound to remove the stain. The stain is gone but I rubbed to hard and put swirl marks into the clear coat. Now the area is kind of hazy. Is there anything I can do to polish the area back to a glossy shine?

• Andy
    Favorite Answer

You could possibly have it power buffed with very fine polishing compound.I'd let a body shop try it as it's easy to ruin paint with a buffer if you don't know what your doing.If it's through the clear coat your going to need to have it re sprayed.Mothers does sell a paint ball and polish now that you use with a drill.You might try that for a cheaper fix.

You may have ground through the clear coat, and it may never be right again. But you can try a product called Black Ebony which is formulated to remove swirl marks from compounding with any abraisive product. You can get it at any paint store that sells automotive finishes.

After you use rubbing compound you need to go over it with polishing compound and then wax it.

use a medium grit compound and gently buff it with an electric buffer. move on to a soft grit compund and repeat, finally use wax and repeat. should solve the problem.

Source(s): www.xowey.com