Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsSTDs · 1 decade ago

What should be done about the increasing rates of sexually transmitted diseases in young people?

With the number of new episodes of sexually transmitted diseases seen in GUM clinics doubling between 1991 and 2001 and still increasing what should be done about this issue?

20 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Its the forms of media. They are bombarded with ideas left and right from all forms of it. They make it look like its all cool and okay. Parent's have to just do the best they can in raising there children and teaching them about life. Then hope for the best.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Sexually Transmitted Diseases and the Condom

Over the past few years many conclusive scientific investigations have proven that some age groups are more inclined to contract sexually transmitted diseases than others. For various reasons these individuals are at risk of contracting infections but fortunately this trend can be reversed by using protection during sex.

Adolescents are generally regarded as one of the primary age groups at risk of contracting sexually transmitted diseases, since youngsters or teens have less access to contraceptives and are also most likely to risk performing unprotected sexual intercourse. Although this view can be largely debated for various reasons, namely the wide spread accessibility of contraceptives together with the numerous ongoing awareness programs enforced by governments to inform the younger population of the risks associated with unprotected sex, the truth is that even with these preventative measures infections still occur regularly.

There are other ages groups severely affected by sexually transmitted diseases although the reasons are entirely different. Older sexually active individuals, ranging from 50 years of age and beyond, have seen the number of infections rise considerably. A very simple justification has been presented to explain this new phenomenon. In the past when an elderly couple separated or faced the premature death of a spouse, few were the ones that sought new partners and engaged in sexual activity with another person. Today this concept is becoming increasingly popular and many elderly citizens prefer to seek relationships where sexual activity is common. Join unprotected sex together with many sexual partners and the results are contamination with sexually transmitted diseases.

One of the major problems affecting these two age groups is the little importance given to sexually transmitted diseases. Many individuals believe that their age is a safeguard against contracting an infection, leaving them with a false sense of security. Another dilemma worth noting is that many of the older individuals are not accustomed to using condoms or any other contraceptive device for that matter. Since diseases like HIV/AIDS weren’t a problem when they became sexual active, many believe that their advanced age and that of their sexual partners saves them from infection.

Safe sex can be enforced if both partners are prepared to take a responsible approach to sexual intercourse and use a condom together with other contraceptive devices during penetration. Diseases like HIV/AIDS are more common than most would dare to think although some believe that only drug addicts and homosexuals are at risk.

I saw some answers here on Yahoo and people were checking out this site, great information.

http://www.thinkcondoms.com/

Remember SAFE SEX is always the best sex.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Health promotion is the best answer.

We need to continue to educate people about the risk of unprotected sex in order to reduce the number of STD's. Education will never wipe out the diseases but it is the best shot we have at trying to control the spread.

We need to increase the teaching at younger ages too. Kids are starting to have sex younger and younger (10 years old!) and may not yet have had the "talk" with their parents. Also, how many ten year olds do you see going to the pharmacy to buy condoms? Maybe the best answer is to have free condoms available at schools where they can discreetly access them so they won't be too embarrassed.

Hopefully one day people will wake up and realize that a simple condom could save their life.

• 1 decade ago

Good question. Well there are plenty of different opinions on the subject. I personally think sex education is extremely important in high schools, they should increase the length of the classes/lessons. We need to teach the youth the severity of unprotected sex and the consequences. I think we need to start there.

Source(s): Dr.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I feel that noone is educated enough on STD's. I feel there should be repeated education in highschool. I would also like to see a mandatory class on STD's that is required for all college freshmen.

Everyone learns some about STD's atleast once in there lives but i feel repeating this education may be necessary to help todays youth.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Well, in other animals when there is a rampant disease we can't deal with, we cull them.

Obviously we can't do that with humans, right?

I suggest, that if anything is going to be done, first and foremost we need quarantine procedures so we can figure out for certain who has STDs and who doesn't, because the sad fact is that people lie about it.

Now i know this might sound a little cruel, but it beats the hell out of massacring people.

• 1 decade ago

'we' can't do any more than we already are, awearness is the only way, unfortunatley it ties in with the problem with society today, not listening and disobaying simple guidelines. I'm only 28 but I know when i was younger when my mother told me to be careful I believed her, yet now you see young 12 and 13 yrs olds telling the parents what to do.

• 1 decade ago

Increase education about transmission of HIV and other STDs, factors, and how to prevent them. Remind young people that oral sex is still sex. Also remind them that even though many STDs are curable, they can still cause a lot of problems.

Source(s): I do HIV education and testing.
  • 1 decade ago

use protection and find cures. theres nothing that we can do about the spread of diseases because humans are not going to stop having sex anytime soon.

• 1 decade ago

Theres nothing you really can do except spread awarness of the diseases and pass out condoms.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.