Meal budget for a couple?

I'm having a lot of trouble making a weekly menu for my husband and I. We would appreciate some suggestions on how we can eat at home for between $50-$70 a week and half those meals not being pb&j or macaroni. Please help!

I know how difficult money is for everyone and here are some things that I do.

1. I shop at a Farmers Market it is called Sprouts. They have excellent prices for produce and I only buy what I know I will use for that week.

2. I shop the ads which come in the local paper on Wednesdays. I plan my meals around the meat / seafood items that are on sale and then I try to make more then one meal out of the food item.

3. When I cook chicken breast for dinner, I make one extra and have sandwiches the next day or I use the extra chicken breast to make quesadillas for dinner with a side of black beans.

4. Casseroles can stretch a dollar and the leftovers make great lunch items.

Here is the link to my website where you will find easy meals to prepare, many minimal ingredients. I am sending you to items cooked in the oven as they are easy and these dishes do go a long way. Items include:

Spaghetti Pizza

Meatloaf

Enchilada Casserole

Ham and Egg Bake

Mexican Pizza

http://www.cooking-is-easy-and-fun.com/In-The-Oven...

best thing to do is spend more on one week. This is exactly what i do:

buy fresh produce that is on sale

Carrots

Celery

Bell Peppers

Broccoli

Potatoes

Then, buy good meats to go along with your veggies

Stew Meat

Pork Chops

Chicken Tenders

Cubed Steak

Ground Beef

Then if you need dairy or dry ingredients

Milk

Butter

Eggs

Flour

Seasoning (season salt, salt, pepper)

Last but not least Drinks!

12 pk sodas

Juice

Powerade

Tea

With the carrots and celery chop then and freeze then for stews and soups

Also cut the bell peppers and use in stir fry's with the chicken or make fajitas

The potates can be made as a side for chicken fried steak (cubed steaks)

and you'll have extra meat for porkchops one night, chicken and rice stew for another. Its easy and it lasts about a week and a half for us.

Closing advice

Buy all produce on sale and freeze to use through out the weeks

Buy Meat as main course that can be used for different dishes

Create Menu so you know what you have

ENJOY

It's hard with prices of food going up to fit to a small budget. My husband and I have started shopping at Aldi - I don't know if they have locations in your area. They have really low prices, and some great options. We buy most of the staples there - pasta, milk, bread, canned goods, etc - and go to Jewel for more of the specialty items, specifically produce because it is fresh and there are organic options there. Sam's club might be a good option for you, too. If not, just keep a look out for coupons in the paper and online.

Don't buy brand-specific - you might be overpaying on some of your grocery items if you only ever buy one brand! Also, don't buy pre-packaged foods. It will save you money in the long run to make all the food you can from scratch.

Make a list before you go, and stick to it. This might sound odd, but many women in my family will attest to this one: leave your husband at home when shopping! Not all men are impulse shoppers, but if your husband is, just go shopping by yourself.

Source(s): www.aldifoods.com

That's a very tight budget but you can make it work.

1. Homemade chicken soup with french bread.

2. Spaghetti and meat sauce.

3. Stir fry with chicken or beef.

4. Meatloaf with mashed potatoes

5. Grilled chicken with rice and broccoli

6. Sausage Penne with green peppers

Also experiment with different ethnic foods. If you don't have the time to make your own sauces some grocery stores have the ready made stuff. They're fairly cheap and taste pretty good.

I'm on a tight budget too so when I see that meat is on sale I get a couple packages. I also buy frozen veggies. They come in many ways. I always buy the 2 serving ones. They are fairly cheap even when they aren't on sale.

Baked potatos taste great and are cheap! So are salads, soups, pasta, and rice. Basically any produce is inexpensive and great, and grains are also an excellent staple. Meats are more expensive, but are worth it. Lean ground beef isn't bad, and can be made into burgers. Spices are expensive, but can make a bland meal tate fancy, and a little bit goes a long way. Good luck!

Have a vegetable meal 1 day a week, breakfast for supper 1 day. Also check out the websites coupon mom, some of the major food companies also have coupons. I use coupons alot and save $$.

Buy Dining on a Dime or Not Just Beans. Lots of thrifty and tasty recipes. You can get the books at Amazon.com or BN.com.

Some meal ideas:

Beef Stew

Pot Roast

Beef Hash from the leftover pot roast

Barbecue Beef Sandwiches from leftover beef from the pot roast

Chicken and Dumplings

Oven Fried Chicken

* Exported from MasterCook *

French Bread Pizza

Recipe By :

Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00

Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

-------- ------------ --------------------------------

1 loaf French bread -- sliced lengthwise

pizza sauce

mozzarella cheese

toppings of choice such as pepperoni, hamburger, mushrooms, bell peppers, olives, onions, etc.

Top sliced French bread loaf with pizza sauce then cheese. Add favorite toppings. Bake at 350 degrees until heated through and cheese begins to bubble and brown.

Not Just Beans

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 311 Calories; 3g Fat (10.0% calories from fat); 10g Protein; 59g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 691mg Sodium. Exchanges: 4 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Fat.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Mushroom Soup Pot Roast

Recipe By :

Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00

Categories :

3 pounds beef roast

10 3/4 ounces cream of mushroom soup, condensed

1 onion -- sliced

Brown roast in a Dutch oven. Stir soup in can to soften mixture and then pour over browned roast. Top with sliced onion. Cover and simmer until tender, about 2 to 3 hours. Add water, if needed, to prevent sticking.

Serves 4+

Adapted from Not Just Beans

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 798 Calories; 59g Fat (67.7% calories from fat); 55g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 197mg Cholesterol; 789mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 8 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 7 Fat.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0

try the a man, a can, a plan cookbook. It has some really good recipes that we both enjoy and uses mostly canned and cheaper foods. But it is also health conscious so none of the recipes are that bad for you, some of them are actually good for you!

Polish sausage is very cheap around here & has lots of uses.

This site works great for my wife and I

http://allrecipes.com/Info/Living/Budget-Friendly-...