Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

America or United States?

I feel like I should know this question and probably asking is pointless. But I cannot for the life of me think of why. No this is not for homework just me being curious. When was America officially called the United States of America instead of just America? I was thinking it was changed when the Constitution was created. Is this correct? Thanks!

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Wikipedia is your friend...

The term America, for the lands of the western hemisphere, is believed to have been coined in 1507 after Amerigo Vespucci, an Italian explorer and cartographer.[11] The full name of the country was first used officially in the Declaration of Independence, which was the "unanimous Declaration of the thirteen united States of America" adopted by the "Representatives of the united States of America" on July 4, 1776.[12] The current name was finalized on November 15, 1777, when the Second Continental Congress adopted the Articles of Confederation, the first of which states, "The Stile of this Confederacy shall be 'The United States of America.'"

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.