will it be safe to run everyday?

ive thought long and hard and decided i would like to join the British army. However after smoking for 3 years and not doing a lot of exercise im not that physically fit, i gave up smoking 10 weeks ago now, is it safe for me to go running everyday to build stamina without loosing muscle mass?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes it is, you can do CV exercise every day, but you need to take breaks with resistance. Let's face it, in the field you may not have a choice but to be very active every day.

Good luck in your new profession!

Source(s): GP for more years than I care to remember
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

As a smoker since 11 now forty-six in my 20s i used to run to work 5miles do a very physical job for 8 hours then run home again.I did this for five years then got a cycle and did that for 10 years.If you feel that you are not fit enough at present start running now and see how it goes .You should ideally have the ability to run a marathon to be in the BRITISH army.

• 1 decade ago

Go running one day. Then go swimming the next day. This will help your fitness.

Cross train because you should rest your muscle group you have trained to help them repair, When they repair that's what makes them stronger. Training in the same way every day will stop them repairing 100% yes you will get fit but you will not become 100% fit.

Once in training you will have to do a swimming test.

You should be running 1 half miles in 10 half Min's or less

Good Luck

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

its good that you quit, obviously. and its fine to go running everyday. But if you do go running ever signle day it is pointless. You have to let your muscles rip and heal to gain muscle. In order to do this running every other day is the best, and the days you dont run you should work on your other muscles. Eat lots of protein, fish, chicken,lean beef. If you run every day and only do that your muscle memory prevents the tissue from ripping again. Doing intervals is best. SPrint for as long as you can, jog for 10 mins then walk for 1 min then do this conitnuasly but change it up

• 1 decade ago

You better run everyday by simply starting only to run for a few minutes, say 10 minutes for a week, then increase it 15 minutes for another week till you conditioned your heart to run for an hour but with walking intervals.

I happened to have a friend whose husband, without her knowledge run for 30 minutes. According to her, her husband had a heart attack and was not able to recover. He was rushed to a hospital but was declared "dead on arrival".

Take care and GOD BLESS!!!!!!

• 1 decade ago
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

yes it will be good for ya, but I wouldnt worry to much about the fitness thing, it wont affect you joining as they are desperate for people at the min and they proper kick you into shape through training anyway!

Source(s): My husband is in the forces
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

if you build up to it yes, if you just get stuck straight in you risk chronic injury which will set your training back.

you need to get your body adapted to the stress gradually.

• Sean
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Yes, good for you for getting healthy!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.