How bad is a dishonorable discharge?

I just need some honesty here, please no rude answers. Right now I am emotionally pretty low and my heart is broken. My husband is deployed and my doctor says that our unborn baby is in danger. His command will not let him come home even though I did contact the red cross and my doctor signed a statement saying he... show more I just need some honesty here, please no rude answers. Right now I am emotionally pretty low and my heart is broken. My husband is deployed and my doctor says that our unborn baby is in danger. His command will not let him come home even though I did contact the red cross and my doctor signed a statement saying he reccomends my husband's presense at the birth. I just want my husband home, no matter the cost. That said, I KNOW I don't really want him to be dishonorably discharged. Please help me understand exactly what it would be for him to be dishonorably discharged. I don't want people to try to scare me, just honest answers from people who really know. I know my husband signed a contract and he is not about to back out, even though we both are quite frustrated right now. He is not one to quit. I just am needing something to help me stop wishing for bad things to happen (the dishonerable discharge), I guess I feel understanding how bad one is will help me. Also, anybody who would give me a little friendly encouragement would be appreciated. I know many wives go through this and am NOT the only one by far. Also, for those who may say I shouldn't have gotten pregnant knowing my husband would be deployed, I didn't know and it's hard for a military family to plan pregnancies around deployments. My husband is in Iraq but doesn't even have orders to be there which I didn't know could happen. We were not infomred of this year long deployment until a few months ago and even then were only given three possible MONTHS it could happen. We knew the actual date only weeks before he left. Thanks in advance for the info.
Update: Oh, and he is in the US Army. Thanks
Update 2: I know that it doesn't mean prison. I know a few guys who have been dishonerably discharged. Not friends but you meet people in the military. Please, I want answers from people who know what they are talking about.
Update 3: I did a little research myself and learned that a dishonorable discharge is usually handed down to somebody who is going to jail, jail is not because of the dishonorable discharge the discharge is because of the jail. I also learned that I have asked my question incorrectly. The dishonorable discharge is for people... show more I did a little research myself and learned that a dishonorable discharge is usually handed down to somebody who is going to jail, jail is not because of the dishonorable discharge the discharge is because of the jail. I also learned that I have asked my question incorrectly. The dishonorable discharge is for people who murder and stuff like that. There are tons of other "less than honorable" discharges. I guess I am asking in general, the bad effects of any of those discharges... although I do realize that we do not want one at this point.
Update 4: Just a note, my husband will not go AWOL. That isn't something we would do... as we are not trying to get dishonorably discharged. I just wanted a firm reason to stop kinda hoping he can come home for even bad reasons. I know it isn't right.