Sid Meier's Civilization 4?

I recently got Sid Meier's Civilization 4 for the PC on sale at target for $20. I tried it, and it feels more like a history class than a game. Theres so many different controls and things you have to do I lose track of it all. It soupposedly got good reviews, but I have no idea how to play it. I went through the tutorial and it cuts u off about half way through, and I still had no idea what the hell was going on. For the people who have actually played it, does the game get any better once you actually get the controls and the gameplay, or was it a waste of my $20 gift card to target?

Favorite Answer

It's definitely not a waste of money, although eventually you will want to upgrade by getting the Beyond the Sword expansion pack.

I would recommend just playing the game for awhile and getting accustomed to it. It is turn-based, so you can take it easy, and rest after a few turns, and come back to play whenever you feel like it. The music alone is almost worth the time, although you can add your own custom music files if you prefer to listen to your favorite music.

Once you have the first experience killing attacking lions, bears, wolves, and other wild animals, and after your first confrontation with an enemy civilization, you will gradually get hooked on it. It is also fun exploring new territory, and building cities. The graphics are beautiful, and the complexity just adds to the enjoyment.

Source(s): 17 years of experience playing every version of Civilization, beginning in 1991.