He doesn't think he's worthy?

I'm in love with one of my friends. He isn't anything special to most people, his job isn't great and he doesn't have nice things but I love his personality. He knows I like him and he likes me, but he said he doesn't feel worthy and that I could do better. I tell him he's perfect to me, but he's always had inferiority issues and some depression.

Is there any way I can make him feel better about himself or make things work?

Favorite Answer

He sounds alot like me so let me explain.. First i would think that he says he doesn't feel worthy is because he doesn't have the resources to make you happy like enough money to take you out,on a date a car or his own home.. I turned down a couple of girls or dates because i felt i really couldn't provide for her and i would usually stay single because of this.. His depression is probably because he cannot provide the things to a woman that he would like to.. Alot of men get like this sometimes.. I know personality is good but i think he just feel he doesn't have the money to support a good relationship and to keep you happy.. I could be wrong but i know alot of my guy friends i talked to said the same.. So maybe he is saying you can do better like finding a guy with more money or a better car, etc. That would be my bet why he is holding out not dating you..

• tammee

Stop right there!!! First of all, it's NOT your job to make HIM feel better. Just like it isn't his job to do that for you. You are not responsible for any of his behaviors and thoughts. He has issues and these issues need to be dealt with in a healthy manner before he chooses to pursue any relationships. What do you think he can contribute to the relationship when he can't even make himself feel better.

Get him a joke book and watch comedy together. Maybe you can do some activites only the both of you like bike riding. And go to quiet places where both of you can talk freely You can also get him a book on NLP or how to win friends and influence people.

Text book low self esteem. This isn't about you it's totally about him. He clearly doesn't believe in himself. He needs a defining experience.

maybe he just is really insecure. really push your feelings for him and make him know he is good enough. there is someone for everyone.