N asked in Social ScienceOther - Social Science · 1 decade ago

What is the difference between sociology and anthropology?

Thanks for answering.

Best Answer

Anthropology is the study of humans and their culture. It is a social science with roots in biology. For example, a subdisclipine of Anthropology is Archaeology which studies the culture of past societies by looking at things they left behind. Anthropology, more often that not, studies persons living in non-industrial societies. Sociology is also a social science and studies society and human behavior. However, Sociology focuses a lot more on industrialized nations. Furthermore, Sociology uses a lot of quantitative data such as statistical graphs, charts, etc. whereas Anthropology uses a lot of the qualitative data such as first hand accounts, participant observation, interviews, etc. A lot of times an Anthroplogist will live amongst the people he/she is studying and write about them. To sum it all up...sociologists study society and anthropologists study culture.

Source(s): I am a student of Social Work and have taken classes in Sociology, Psychology, Social Problems, Anthropology, and Cultural Diversity.

I have a B.A. in Anthropology and Psychology. I was required to take several Sociology classes for my degree, and I'm really not a fan of the field, to be honest. Anthropology is the study of humankind, culture, and the history involving man and his culture. It's really a big picture look at the world. Sociology is the study of human society. They are both rather broad fields and they do overlap quite a bit. The job market, however, for each field is dramatically different. A lot of sociology majors, at least the ones that I know, go into social work or other similar careers. I, with an Anthropology degree, am currently working on my doctorate with plans to research and teach. It sounds like to me, if you're interested in the study of culture and humanity, which would be Anthropology, and why people, not societies or cultures, act the way they do, you may want to consider Anthropology and Psychology, not Sociology. But, with most of the social sciences, your undergraduate work just will not get you far. You will have to consider graduate school. If you want my advice, which I suppose you do, choosing a major can be complicated, but when it's all said and done, your major won't be that important. What you want to do is figure out what you want to spend the rest of your life doing, and go from there. Good luck!