Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Do you think we should legalize assisted suicide?

why or why not

i do not believe we should even consider legalizing it. i ask due to a forum i read about a couple that did this to their 23 year old son and are now facing charges. my son had ALS and this was never an option.

• Eds
    Favorite Answer

Sondra,

I have a problem with this topic. I also do not believe that our elderly and ill should be held against their will to die a painful death but I do not believe in murder at all. I would be absolutely sick if one of my relatives went through the assisted suicide then a cure was found for that particular illness. I am a Christian and I would never want to participate in such an ordeal no matter what pain I was in. (I am in a great deal of pain most of the time (Neuropathy of the legs, feet, hands, and arms) but I could never see myself resorting to such a thing). At this time, I have no fear of death. I am truly ready to go when my time comes. Have a great week.

Thanks,

Eds

------

.

Source(s): --------- LOVE I F E . . .

It seems some people are confusing euthanasia with eugenics. Though, they've been correlated in the past it isn't the same. If a person who has terminal cancer and no chance of surviving, why shouldn't he/she make a decision about their life? Why allow them to agonize just because we feel uncomfortable about 'assisted suicide'? Is it worth to let someone suffer just so we feel comfortable? Oregon has legalized assisted suicide, humans should be in control if they want to end their suffering. No human should have to wait death in such unbearable conditions.

• Mia

I think if a person is terminally ill and wants to have the choice it should be legal for them to do so. In practice this is essentially the case with terminally ill cancer patients. They are given the ability to choose how much morphine they use to control pain and anxiety. I have an advance directive for myself that should I be unable to communicate my wishes and in a persistent vegetative state with more than one opinion I will not recover for more than a year I wish further tube feeding and measures to keep me alive withdrawn. I think we should be careful though that the wishes of the person are known and not others making decisions for you.

Haha

One question:

How would you feel if someone assisted your mother/brother/father.sister/uncle/friend ect to kill themself, instead of assisted in getting them help for whatever they need?

I think that should be a closed case basically on principal

Animals dont assist each other in killing themselves, its just one of those things you do alone - Like eating, unless you can't possibly eat yourself, like if you are disabled or something, nobody should have to spoon-feed you

same goes for suicide, unless you are dying or completely disabled and helpless, you can find your own way to do it. People don't need to profit off of this like they would if it was legal, they'd prolly even advertise it

Yes I do.

If a person chooses to end their life, that should be their right, and they should have access to methods less traumatizing to their loved ones than a bullet to the head.

It is not only disrespectful, but cruel in the extreme to force people to suffer just so that you can selfishly apply your religious views on them.

yes, but I think we should also have some sort of hospital where is done. If you don't want to live you shouldn't have too. I just think its fair because we have the power to decide pretty much everything in their lives why should death be any different.

Yes, because it's a person's choice if they want to die or not and we shouldn't base our opposition on superstition (which it most often is, from my experience).

Of course the law should make sure that the person is sincere and of sound mind, which all such laws I've heard of do.

No, not with all the chemists, pharmaceutical companies and doctors trying to come up with cures, there are things that can help people with pain and maybe they will find a cure, where if we just killed them off, that would not be an answer to the cure.

in some cases yes. i believe if a person decides he/ she wants to die they should have that right. terminally ill ppl defiantly should have that right to assistetrulyide but is it truely suicide if you keep them alive on machines?

Yes, because there is no good reason not to. Just because some else thinks it's against their gods plan or some such? I want to make the decision for me that makes sense for me. If they don't want to, fine. Who am I to impose my will on you? Just give me the same respect...

Source(s): IMHO