Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthAlternative Medicine · 1 decade ago

Does valerian root really work?

Favorite Answer

Valerian Root - Valeriana Officinalis Nourishes the nervous system, has soothing properties. Safe and natural sleeping aid. Helps soothe nerves, assists the body in relieving insomnia. Gives calming relief to muscles, the nerves and blood vessels.

Valerian has often been used in complementary and alternative medicine for its sedative properties. It has been recommended for epilepsy but that has not been supported by modern research. Currently, the herb is mainly used as a remedy for insomnia.

Properties and Uses

Antispasmodic - an agent which relieves or prevents spasms, usually of the smooth muscles. Barbiturates and valerian are examples of antispasmodics.

Calmative - a substance that has a soothing or sedative effect.

Carminative - an agent which assists in expelling gas from the intestines.

Hypnotics form a class of drugs which induce sleep when sleeplessness is not due to a stimulus, such as pain or itching. Hypnotic drugs are closely related to sedatives. A single drug may possess both sedative and hypnotic qualities. Agents classified as sedatives and hypnotics have a common mode of action: they induce a nonselective, reversible decrease in central nervous system activity. Examples of drugs in this class include diazepam, mephobarbital and chloral hydrate.

Nervine - a substance which quells nervousness and irritability, either through depression or stimulation of the central nervous system.

Stomachic - a substance which excites, strengthens and tones the stomach.

Valerian is a strong nervine helpful for insomnia. It contains an essential oil and alkaloids which combine to produce a sedative effect. It can be used as a tranquilizer, and will leave one feeling refreshed rather than sluggish. It is safe and non-narcotic and has been recommended for anxiety. Valerian is commonly used with other herbs for nervous tension, and is usually recommended for short term use, as prolonged use can cause mental depression. It is seldom recommended for small children.

Valerian root has been used for centuries to calm nervous disorders. Scientific experiments conducted with laboratory animals in West Germany have demonstrated that valerian root corrects muscle spasms and tremors, reduces excitement and irritability, lowers high blood pressure, and calms the central nervous system.

** Valerian is sometimes used as a substitute for the synthetic prescription drug, Valium. The side effects from both differ drastically; if too many valerian capsules (10 to 12) are ingested, it will only produce a migraine headache, whereas if that many Valium are taken it can lead to coma and death.

Homeopathic remedy Valeriana. [Valer]

Valeriana is a remedy largely used in the allopathic school for hysteria, and forms one of the main props of their treatment. As a remedy for hysteria in the homoeopathic sense it has some useful symptoms. As under Tarentula,the patient must keep continually on the move; but exertion causes headache, and the slightest pain causes fainting. There is a sensation as if something warm were rising from the stomach; this causes a difficulty of breathing; there is also present fear, tremulousness, and palpitation. With Valeriana there is a general state of nervous excitement; the patient is apt to be joyous, lively, and talkative. A tendency to flushes of heat is often present. It has also the globus hystericus, and there are many pains simulating rheumatism. Nervous agitation is its most marked symptom, and this together with warm sensation rising from the stomach should distinguish. The alternations of mood which are prominent with the remedy should not be overlooked. It seems to be the remedy for the hysterical habit.

Source(s): ** Experienced in healing humanity homeopathically ** http://www.springboard4health.com/notebook/herbs_v... http://www.poolridge.com/herbs/info-2.htm
  • elicia

Does Valerian Root Work

1

Does Valerian Work

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Does valerian root really work?

Source(s): valerian root work: https://shortly.im/k768W
  • Susan

3 years ago, I was diagnosed - hypertension with a reading of 160/100. I used to feel dizzy a lot, my legs had awful cramps, and levels were very low in my potassium, causing my fingers and toes to always cramp together. One day I started to feel really faint while I was driving with my daughter in the back seat and I passed out, hitting 3 cars and ending up in a ditch. That moment,I knew I had to do something because my meds weren't working. I heard about this diet from a friend and thought I'd give it a shot. The results have been remarkable. In just 21 days, I honestly can't remember feeling this good, my blood pressure went from 175/110 to 125/70.

Don't ever take the sleeping pills route!!

1. They will damage your liver big time and you can get into serious health problems.

2. You will get hooked up on them and you won't be able to have a normal life any more if you don't take your pills everyday.

The sleeping pills industry is damaging our health by capitalizing on our ignorance, and by distracting people from effective and natural ways to deal with this problem. I had been taking prescription sleep medications [Ambien] for over 5 years. It stopped working and I simply took more. Still did not work. Nights were very difficult - medication put me to sleep but I would wake up after 2–3 hours with a strong sympathetic response (fast pulse, pounding heartbeat, wide awake alert). It was a very difficult cycle to break. I was really in bad shape due to lack of sleep.

After years of struggling I was able to cure my insomnia naturally and pretty fast. I followed the Sleep Tracks sleep optimization program, here is their official web -site if you want to take a look: http://www.insomniacure.net

Ohhh..and Good Luck!

• Az R

Theoretically yes, in vitro it displays some useful properties. However, clinical studies done it it show it to be pretty much useless. Basically, it should work based on it's pure chemistry, but when put to work in an actual person, it doesn't.

To quote the American Family Physician (AAFP's journal): "Physicians should not encourage the use of St. John's wort, valerian, Sympathyl, or passionflower for anxiety based on small or inconsistent effects in small studies. " Specifically the the Valerian trials showed no efficacy.

PMID 17853630 if you'd like to see it. The article was done about 13 months ago.

Basically, it doesn't work in the real world.

Yes it is used to fall asleep/relax. I have used it when I am stressed or when I can't fall asleep and it always worked for me. Just make sure it is the real herb and not synthetic.

• lol21t

Yes!