What are my chances at getting accepted?

African American female, entering junior year at competitive arts school as a vocal major

Academic Profile-

3.8 unweighted GPA (on 4.0 scale)

4.3 weighted HPA (on 5.0 scale)

I am taking the SATs in January, but on the latest practice test I took, I got a 1880.

AP Classes-

AP Human Geography- 3

AP World History and AP Music Theory- 3 and 4

AP Comp. and AP U.S.- currently taking

The rest of my classes have all been honors, excluding health classes, a driving course, and 3 math courses (one was taken in middle school)

Extra curriculars-

-Historian on Freshman Class Council

-Life Teen member

-All-State 2008 Concert Choir

-Tri-M Secretary

-Corresponding Secretary on Junior Class Council

-African Outreach Club Member

-Rotary Club Future Stars 2006 2nd place winner and finalist in 2007 and 2008

-YSPB Member

-Student Task Force Member

-Spanish Honors Society

-National Honors Society

-Amnesty International

-Key Club

-ACDA Musician

Community service-

-Local library

-Church Choir

-Volunteer for Save Darfur, Hurricane Katrina, and CF Fundraisers

-Most of my community comes from things I do through my art area

As far as essays are concerned, not to toot my own horn, but I've been told that I am a very good writer.

Schools I'm considering are BU, BC, NYU, Emerson, Syracuse, Wellesley, Wesleyan, Brown, etc...

And I am looking to major in history, minor in music performance, and then go on to law school. Or possibly major in English. I'm not entirely sure yet. :)

What are my chances?

And any suggestions pertaining to schools?

Update:

K,

how is my GPA low? According to the Honors Grade Point Average scale, it ranks as an A to an A+.

Update 2:

Ok, K, I see what you're saying. I know that my SAT scores are horrid but I am working on that. And if i get straight As this year, my GPA should go up to an 3.9, and my HPA should go up to about a 4.3, since I'm taking two AP courses. So where exactly do you feel I have any kind of shot at getting into? Since you've just told me how completely delusional I am. I guess I shouldn't even bother applying, even though I know I most likely won't get in, but hey, who cares about childhood dreams anyways? This is the real world, am I right?

P.S. Sorry about my grammar error. I guess that small mistake I made on Yahoo! Answers completely diminishes all that I have achieved in life.

Update 3:

I'm sorry, I meant a 4.5**

Update 4:

And correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the HPA (weighted) more important than the GPA because it factors in honors and APs?

Update 5:

One more thing, K. What exactly are your credentials?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

You're definitely going to look attractive to these schools =] Try looking at Northeastern and Fordham as well. I'm pretty much looking at the same schools as you. Raise your SAT score into the 1900s or even 2000s and they'll definitely give you great scholarships =]

Good luck!

• geil
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Um... are not you the Harvard guy too? nicely lower back, Stanford is a huge attain for you. Why not purpose at decrease Ivys, or non-Ivys... there nonetheless are particularly good faculties. How do you get 11 solutions, and that i'm getting none on my Cornell thread :*(

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

yeah everything looks good but your sat try to get it into 21-2200 ranged

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.