1962 Ford Falcon generator problem?

The Idiot light glows very faintly only on acceleration, with the lights on. Otherwise it is fine. The car battery has not died, but I havent travelled far at night. The generator puts out 13.7 volts at idle. Is this the cut out relay or the generator. Both are pretty old.

Favorite Answer

More than likely, if everything is original, you need to adjust the voltage regulator. The older classics had adjustable regulators with contact points that get dirty and an air gap adjustment.

You may have buildup on the contacts, you may have buildup on the generator brushes.

The light will also glow with an overcharge problem. Or with a problem with the dash resistor wiring.

Best you can do is check it with a DVOM to find out what it is actually doing. From the battery, generator, regulator, "idiot" light, resistor, etc.

Source(s): Own a 61 Galaxie 500 4dr Wagon with a 292. All original and even vacuum wipers that I inherited from my GrandDad. It's been a challenge at times, but a lot of fun. Been working on the classic Fords for over 30 years.

The 62 Falcon still had mechanical points in the voltage regulator. Spiders and bugs have been know to crawl into them and cause problems. The points also can oxidize and some times have been known to weld themselves into position. The springs break and the metal fatigues. If this happened more then likely it ruined the generator also. When I used to drive early 60 Ford products on a daily basis (well into the 90's) and the generator failed, I also replaced the voltage regulator for this very reason. Also, generators have been know to be bad right off the shelf. Many rebuilt ones have only been cleaned up and spray painted to look new.

• 144289

If the light glows on acceleration with lights on, the belt maybe loose

wow a generator that put out 13.7v on idle,

measure the out put at 2000rpm,should not be more than 15v

if more ,adjust or replace regulator,

regulator is causing the light to flicker,assuming generator is giving the right output

Source(s): tired tech

Try re-polarizing the field. See an old car manual on how to do this.

the idiot light probably has a crack and is letting the dash lights shine threw

I think you may require a new voltage regulater

it being old as it is i say you reg is going bad, change this, too i put new brushes in gen

fan belt may be worn or loose.. also clean the battery connections..