What is damp hair? My box of hair dye says apply to damp hair?

(Natural instincts) Directions step one says to wet the hair, but don't shampoo and then apply hair packet do damp hair ...so umm is damp hair like kind of wet hair? Does this mean i have to apply the hair product into my hair while its kind of wet i have never done that before here it says " "wet and towel dry... show more (Natural instincts) Directions step one says to wet the hair, but don't shampoo and then apply hair packet do damp hair ...so umm is damp hair like kind of wet hair? Does this mean i have to apply the hair product into my hair while its kind of wet i have never done that before here it says " "wet and towel dry hair untill damp, remeber don't shampoo your hair before you color" put on gloves, mix products and apply the color to your damp hair immediately. ?????

Do i have to wet my hair? I ve never done that i just usuraly apply the hair color so um yea help please.