In California, when is someone required to show a badge if they claim to be a police officer?

If someone who is not in uniform is claiming to be a police officer, if I ask them to see their badge and department ID, are they required to show it, assuming this person is a real officer to begin with? I am in California to make this more specific.

Favorite Answer

just as soon as he or she states they are a police officer they must show ID and Badge..

Source(s): 17 years in Law Enforcement 12 in CA
  • They are required to show a badge at all times when in police uniform. They must be in police uniform if they are pulling you over as well. I know someone who was pulled over by someone who actually stole a cop car erlier that day. As rare as this is, it does happen. And if they've stolen a cop car and pulled you over, no good can come out of it. If you suspect this, i.e. someone not in uniform pulling you over. Call 911. When she got pulled over, the guy came up to her window and when she pulled out her cell phone and started calling someone she knew, he turned around and walked away and drove off. Also, if you are pulled over, never roll your window down more then about an inch to hand your id and registration through. Just enough so you can hear what they are saying and to slip your information through, that way the can not grab you. Keep your doors locked at all times too. If they order you to get out. Tell them you will not until they call for a second officer.

Yes. If a person isn't in uniform and they claim to be a police officer they have to show you ID. If they don't call 911 and ask for a real officer.

Source(s): 11 years law enforcement

If "I'm a police officer comes out of their mouth" the next instant should be badge and credentials coming out... unless of course they have their hands full of fighting dumb-asses or some other serious circumstances. Most police won't say I'm a police officer unless they are holding out their badge to prove it.

If some one IS claiming to be a cop and does not have credentials and badge to prove it, the real cops NEED to know. This guy will get killed by some thug who doesn't LIKE cops.

Source(s): 31 yrs LEO