Get an apartment with an eviction on my record?

I have rented two apts in the past 5 years, both with great rental history. Recently, I applied for an apt only to be told I have an eviction coming up. I was evicted back in 2001. Up until now, the eviction has not showed up anywhere...even on credit reports I've gotten, much less with the two apt complxes I... show more I have rented two apts in the past 5 years, both with great rental history. Recently, I applied for an apt only to be told I have an eviction coming up. I was evicted back in 2001. Up until now, the eviction has not showed up anywhere...even on credit reports I've gotten, much less with the two apt complxes I rented from the past few years. I have to find an apt fast and I need advice on what to do. I am in the process of getting a letter from the place that evicted me stating I am not in their records, which I'm not. I've called to pay it off and they have no record of me! I've even called the court and they show no amount I owe. So I'm stuck. I can't pay an amt I owe b/c no one shows one but then it comes up in some apt searches. I live in Texas, FYI if that helps.

Am I stuck to unsafe, horrible places now? I've always lived in pretty nice places and I'm scared now.
Update: Writ of possesion was issued but I moved out before it was enforced. That's the only thing the court has. They have no $ amt. Does this mean it will be there forever?
Update 2: And if "normal" landlords will not rent to me then how was I able to rent twice after the fact? Both were w/large co's but so was the place that turned me down.