Would u consider this ratting out someone?

ok, its a long story... in my school, we have an hour for lunch. you can either go to the computer lab, or whatever. me and my friend went to the computer lab one day to work on a project. during the lunch, one kid walks in and leaves a backpack in there, and leaves (DOESN'T SAY ONE WORD TO ME OR MY FRIEND!!).... show more ok, its a long story...

in my school, we have an hour for lunch. you can either go to the computer lab, or whatever. me and my friend went to the computer lab one day to work on a project. during the lunch, one kid walks in and leaves a backpack in there, and leaves (DOESN'T SAY ONE WORD TO ME OR MY FRIEND!!). later he comes back, takes something out of it (STILL DOESN'T SAY ONE THING TO EITHER OF US!!), and leaves again (assuming it was his backpack) then 10 minutes later, the lunch ends and we go to our next period. but at the end, me and my friend saw the backpack still there.. one of the pockets was open and i look inside of it, and there was a school i.d. of a kid i know (the kid who left the backpack, was the backpack owner's friend), so i thought then that this kid was hiding it for fun (like most high school kids do). then later that day in my last period (gym) i saw the kid and some other guy looking for his backpack, so i tell him it was in the computer lab (since i'm friends with him, and i knew where it was, i want to help him out..who wouldn't if it was your friend?) after i told him he asked me who put it there. i told him "i dont know his name, but it was one of your friends" (he has many friends) (thats it...no name because i didn't know the kids name who put the backpack there). then the next day, i was working on the project again with my friend, and the kid who put the backpack there came up to me and said "you ratted me out" and "u better have company with u at all times, cause i'll beat u up when ur alone" (this kid didnt even get in trouble either)..i personally dont think its ratting someone out because...
A) he didn't say one thing to me, like "dont tell anyone i put the backpack here" or "dont tell anyone where the backpack is"
B) i never even mentioned his name to the kid because i didn't even know his name in the first place..

what are your opinions about the situation?
remember: i had basically no contact with this kid who put the backpack there, so i had absolutely no idea if it was on purpose or just for fun..