Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentGovernment · 1 decade ago

My goal is to find at least 3 arguments for congressional term limits and 3 arguments against them.?

This is a topic for a debate/discussion that my high school American Government class is going to have and I'm int it lol! I was wondering if you guys could give me some strong arguing points over both or find some supporting evidence from a website or two. Any help is appreciated, I'm asking you guys to help me not because I suck at American Govt. ( I have an A in the class ) but, because I have never done a debate before and I don't know how to start off my research/ where would I look/start??? Thanks for the help in advance and best answer gets good rating and 10 points.

Favorite Answer

If you just Google 'Term Limits' you will see many pages that argue for or against them, and you will very quickly get a feeling for what the arguments are like. Debates are fairly easy if you know what you're talking about, so you not only want to learn the basic, popular arguments for and against, but the answers to these arguments. Debate is 'healthy' for you because you learn to take either position; it doesn't matter how you think personally. I think we would have much better political discussion in this country in general if we all understood both sides of the argument.

Anyway here are some arguments:

For Term Limits:

1. It allows fresh blood, new ideas, to come into congress.

2. It keeps certain congressmen and senators from sticking around so long that they build up a huge power base, that they become disproportionately powerful.

3. It might limit corruption because politicians who have been around longer have more 'connections' with lobbyists, big contributors, etc.

Against Term Limits:

1. People have the right to vote for whoever they favor, even if he happens to be 'termed out'.

2. The longer a congressman/senator stays, the more power he has. This is an -advantage- to the people of his district/state.

3. This whole argument is usually only a front for an anti-incumbency sentiment. For instance, the Republicans were very strong for term limits in the days when Democrats ruled Congress. When Republicans got majorities, they forgot all about their previous term-limits fervor.

Argument for them. Lobbyist know the system in Washington. When you get a bunch of junior congressmen lobbyist will be the only ones that know the system.

Bad politicians that keep getting elected no Matter what they do wrong. Chuck Shumer, Ted Kennedy, Charlie Rangel

Argument against them. You get a really good congressman who actually helps the people and doesn't pad his pocket.