ME
ME asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

What are some good mystery/detective/crime novels?

I'm looking for some mystery novels. So , I'm open for suggestions.

Feel free to help me.

xx

Favorite Answer

This is a list of mystery writers from my website below. At that site you will find titles for each person on this list AND at that site if you click on an author's name you will be taken either to their official website or another appropriate page for that author.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Agatha Christie, Margery Allingham, Linwood Barclay, M. C. Beaton, Steve Berry, Sandra Brown, Gwendoline Butler, Stella Cameron, Raymond Chandler, Lee Child, Mary Higgins Clark, Michael Connelly, Patricia Cornwall, Catherine Coulter, Robert Crais, Paul Doherty, Barry Eisler, Janet Evanovich, Joanne Fluke, Dick Francis, Margaret Frazer, Lisa Gardner, Anne George, Elizabeth George, Tess Gerritsen, Sue Grafton, Andrew Greeley, John Grisham, Dashiell Hammett, John Hart, Maddy Hunter, P. D. James, Faye Kellerman, Dean Koontz, Gordon Korman, Patricia Lewin, Ross MacDonald, Sharyn McCrumb, Ngaio Marsh, Mary E. Martin, Brad Meltzer, Stuart Palmer, Robert B. Parker, James Patterson, Richard North Patterson, Ridley Pearson, Ellis Peters, Ian Rankin, J. D. Robb, Dorothy L. Sayers, Daniel Silva, Karin Slaughter, Alexander McCall Smith, Marilyn Todd, Peter Tremayne, Margaret Truman, Patricia Wentworth, and Steven White.

I collect classic books, so obviously my first suggestion would be Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes series. He wrote a great many short stories with the character (even trying to kill Mr. Holmes off in one before being brought back by popular demand.) His only full-length novel was The Hound of the Baskervilles. Awesome books.

On a more modern note, Deaver's Lincoln Rhimes (sp?) novels -starting with The Bone Collector - were very well written. They deal a lot with crime scene investigation, so if you're a CSI fan you may enjoy them also. Great stories.

Another favorite is Mel Odom's NCIS series. Paid in Blood and Blood Evidence are the first two, the last in the trilogy comes out in January 2009. These are also crime scene investigation with a military twist. (Note, the stories have no relation to the television series NCIS. Sorry.)

When I was in middle school I read the book Die Laughing (it was written by an actor, I think, but I don't remember his name. The title is correct, though, so you can look it up.) There's this string of murders of popular comedians, etc, and the main character is trying to figure out who's behind it. It was actually a funny book, and a good mystery.

Hope this helps!

EDIT: Also look up Murders of the Rue Morgue! Great classic.

• You've got to read the classics of the Film Noir era: Raymond Chandler and Dashiell Hammet

The Big Sleep by Chandler

Maltese Falcon by Hammet

I also highly recommend Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe novels and short stories. All superbly written, full of details and suspense.

• Dave

The top authors who take my top three spots for best mystery authors are (in no particular order): James Patterson, Mary Higgins Clark, Janet Evanovich.

Patterson has two detective series Alex Cross and Women's Murder Club - both serve as really good thrillers

http://jamespatterson.com/index2.html

Mary Higgins Clark writes traditional murder mysteries - where a death happens at the beginning and the main character works to solve it, leading her closer to the killer and closer to danger.

http://maryhigginsclark.com/

And Janet Evanovich writes the Stephanie Plum series. These books are completely hilarious, original, sassy, and suspenseful.

http://evanovich.com/

Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe novels; Robert B. Parker's Spenser novels; Sue Grafton's Kinsey Millhone series; Julia Spencer-Fleming's novels; Faye Kellerman's Peter Decker and Rina Lazarus novels. Go to LibraryThing.com and search for any of those authors. You'll find all the titles, as well as reviews of the books themselves so you can see if they appeal to you.

The Mike Hammer Collection Volume 1 (Paperback)

by Mickey Spillane

3 Mickey Spillane books in this volume:

I, the Jury

My Gun is Quick

Vengeance is Mine!

http://www.amazon.com/Mike-Hammer-Collection-1/dp/...

The Mike Hammer Collection, Volume 2: (Paperback)

by Mickey Spillane

3 more:

One Lonely Night

The Big Kill

Kiss Me Deadly

http://www.amazon.com/Mike-Hammer-Collection-Lonel...

the best mystery i ever read is the westing game. i read it when i was 10 and reread it now and i still love it. the author is a genius

my favourite is the authoress: Agatha Christie, all her "whodunnit" novels are master pieces