does anyone live on a boat/house boat?

I want to live on a boat when I grow up but I don't know if it's practical.. lol, does anyone have any experience living on one?

Favorite Answer

Here in San Diego, lots of people live on their boats. They moor them in rented slips, which provide electricity, water, and sewer connections. And, any time they want, they can take their boats out onto the bay or out to sea for the day. In fact, a lot of the charter fishing crews live on their boats when in port and charge people to go on fishing trips.

I knew an older guy who owned and lived on a 25-foot sloop (sailboat), but he had failing health and wasn't able to sail it by himself anymore. So, he would take people out on his boat and teach them to sail, in exchange for the ability to be able to take his boat out on weekends. In fact, that's how I learned to sail for free.

It can be a little cramped on a smaller boat. But, it's kind of like living in an RV. And, the marinas have amenities like shower facilities for the owners to use. It's kind of like living at a campground, except your home is on the water.

Read the Travis McGee books by John D McDonald. (They're older, but Travis lived on a houseboat in Ft. Lauderdale, and the books have all sorts of information about what it's like.)

Yes, I've lived on a boat.

There isn't very much room, so you can't have much stuff. The humidity will get into your electronics, your clothes and all of your boat's infra-structure, and if your boat is in salt water, it's twice as bad. Something needs cleaning and/or repair constantly. It's extra cold in the winter, because of the humidity, even in Ft. Lauderdale. All your friends and complete strangers expect you to put them up all the time. Your next door neighbor is six feet away, and you and they can hear everything (including television, radio and stereo you're not the least interested in).

The moon rise and sunrise are extra-special, though, and I like to fish. I never need a hotel room when I travel, and I never get where I'm going and find I've forgotten to pack something.