Seriously, nursing moms?

I've nursed all three of my boys and I know they tell you if done properly it's not suppose to hurt. All of my boys were aggressive eaters. Latched on correctly, felt my uterus contract and felt a very strong let-down. But, with all three of my boys after about the fourth day of nursing I cringed at the thought of them even nursing it WAS painful. O.K., in the hospital I even had the lactation nurse watch and they were latching on correctly, she said it's not supposed to hurt, with my last son after the first day of nursing I had blisters! I used Lanolin which was a huge relief. Any other moms doing it correctly but still in pain?

Favorite Answer

I completely agree with you. With both of my children I experienced the same thing. The Lanolin cream helped a lot when I was with blisters and cracks! What also helped me was the silicone nipple covers when they were just so sore from the friction that I was in agony. One other thing that helped me was that I would pump my milk and give it to my daughter when I was having a really sore day as it didn't give me as much pain. I never wanted to stop breastfeeding either of my children and would never encourage anyone to do so just because it can be uncomfortable. I breastfed my son for over 1 year and my daughter stopped at 11 months.

Kudos to every mom who breastfeeds or at least attempts to!

• Luna27

My son was also an agressive eater. It hurt for the first few weeks and I went to see the lactation specialist several times to make sure that we were doing everything correctly. After the first few weeks, it didn't really hurt anymore. Now at almost 6 months old, the only time that it hurts is if he pulls on the nipple, which he just started to do, when he has had enough to eat. He doesn't do it often, but every once in a while, he will do that. Whenever he does, I will get a blister and it really hurts for at least a day. The Lanolin does help, but I just have to wait it out.

I agree. My daughter is an aggressive eater and I have flat nipples with some adhesions that have never broken so I still have some pain when nursing and my daughter is 3.5 months now. 3 LC's say we have a good latch and my daughter gains 8-9 ounces a week, so I think sometimes it just hurts. In the beginning we did have a bad latch and that was excruciating and my nipples looked like raw hamburger. It was bad, but now I don't have cracks or anything, just pain.

I think it's very discouraging to new moms to hear "if you're doing it right, it doesn't hurt" - I mean that's basically telling you that if it hurts, it's your own fault. You are a failure. It's like the people who say it's the most natural thing in the world and claim you'll just know how once you have a baby.

• Pippin

I think there are two 'extreme schools of thought here, neither one of which is quite true. (And both tend to discourage nursing.)

Some people will insist that 'if you're doing it right it should NEVER hurt.' And others will say that 'nursing is going to be horribly painful for X-number of weeks/months -- so you just have to grit your teeth ... or give up and go to the bottle.'

Nursing is a new skill for both parties. Our breasts aren't used to being nursed, and neither mother nor baby knows quite what to do. So even with a good latch, there will be some soreness for a few days or a week. If the pain did go away and the blisters/cracks healed, and baby got lots of milk then assume that the latch was 'good enough' and all worked out well.

When I gave birth there were no LCs at my hospital, and the nurses worked with me only briefly. I had some soreness. I had a crack. But they healed,and I went on to nurse for over a year. So evidently I was doing SOMETHING right.

Yes, I agree that nursing can be painful. No matter what they say. I also saw the consultant and my son was doing everything right. after a while, I was so sore and raw. The lanolin cream does help. Also, try different nursing positions. Good luck!

Source(s): Mother of a 6 months old

after the second month when he started to really get an appetite.

O man i was like usually i can relax and watch t.v. but no! it was aggravating pain i was like what the heck is this.

I call the lactation hotline and they said givem a NUK bottle and that'll help him calm down a lil then try breast feeding the next session and it worked!

Source(s): yung mama

with my first, i was told he was latching on properly, but it was painful the entire 4 months i breast fed, i hated feeding time.

i just had my second, and it doesnt hurt a bit, so i am now convinced, that my first never really was latched on properly.

Its just your nipples "toughening" up, they are not used to being used this way and now its kinda a shock to them...it always gets better after about 2 weeks. My daughter made my nipples bleed and I was soo worried that she couldn't suck through the scabs...but her doctor said it would be okay...try to stick with b-feeding, its definitely worth it!

I know I was doing it right because she had a wide open mouth, her nose pointed down toward my breast, strong let down of milk...ect...

I breastfeed 4 of my 5kids, I never had a problem, but it was a very painful start! you should massage your nipples in between feedings, that way you're softening it and getting it ready so when baby latches on it's no so painful.

Mine was never really bad pain except for the first two weeks. It just feels a little weird, hard to explain I guess.

Source(s): Breastfeeding my 15 month old.