promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Best Joy Division Album: Unknown Pleasures or Closer?

Seeing as those are the only two they ever did, which is better in the minds of fellow JD fans of R&P?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I've always liked Closer better. It seemed like a culmination of what they started in Unknown Pleasues. Its also eerie post-suicide in the same way that All Apologies on In Utero is.

Joy Division's sound just seemed fuller, more fully-realized on Closer. The band didn't feel as enclosed, as tight as they did on Unknown Pleasures. They seemed to be more free to explore their different influences and tendencies. Both are masterpieces, but I've just always felt like Closer showed so much promise - making it all the more tragic.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

I think Closer has much more "heart and soul" hahaha...

No but seriously...with "The Eternal" and "Decades" it is a very heartfelt album...

I actually can't say which one I like better because AH I love them!!

Their music has just touched me...It's wonderful. It has so much emotion...It just soothes me. When I have a stressful day or one of my many horrible migraines it helps calm me down...

They are absolutely amazing. Finally I see someone talking about Joy Division on here*!!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Closer

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Although both of them are superb,I'll go with Unknown Pleasures.It's a bit more focused as an album,but aside from that(which doesn't really matter anyway),the tracks in it include most of my favorite Joy Division songs(Shadowplay,New Dawn Fades,She's Lost Control,Disorder,Wilderness...).

Substance is my second favorite actually...

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Closer imo.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Substance >

All their stuff is beyond excellent, however.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.