Walmart Money Gram Scam?

I was applying for jobs online when I read one about a travel agent looking to further his business to the states. I was curious so I inquired about the job. He is supposedly from France and his business supposedly involves helping people book their travel and then using Western Union and my bank account to cash the money grams sent from his customers to me and then deduct 10% and send the rest of the finances via Western Union to this man. I then replied to his e-mail and told him I thought it was a scam but he replied and told me to call him in France. Well I am not going to do that so I just dropped the whole communication. Today I checked my mail and I received 3 moneygrams for 950 dollars each with instructions on what to do. I still think this is a scam but I don't know who I need to make aware of the situation and in the unlikely event that it is true then I just found the best job ever. So do I contact the police or the post office and has anyone come across this before?

Favorite Answer

A very common scam, and it has a thousand variations. I have posted a link to the Federal Trade Commission website consumer alert on Check Cashing Scams so you can see how they operate and what you should do if you wish to report this guy (reprinted below in full for it's educational value:

Be Suspicious About Wiring Money Back After Cashing a Check

FTC, National Consumers League Offer Information for Fraud Prevention Month

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2006/03/overpayment.shtm

The set-up for the scam can be different every time: maybe they are buying something you advertised, paying you to do work at home, or giving you an “advance” on a sweepstakes. But, the Federal Trade Commission and the National Consumers League warn that after the initial hook, all “check overpayment” scams end the same way – with a request for you to wire money back. The scams are the fifth most common telemarketing fraud and the fourth most common Internet scam reported to the NCL. The warning about this type of fraud, often perpetrated across borders, comes during March, Fraud Prevention Month.

Here is how the scam operates: the person you are doing business with sends you a check for more than the amount they owe you, and then instructs you to wire the balance back to them. Or, they send a check, and tell you to deposit it, keep part of the amount for your own compensation, and then wire the rest back for one reason or another. The results are the same: the check eventually bounces, and you’re stuck, responsible for the full amount, including what you wired to the scammer.

The checks in these scams are fake, but they look real enough to fool bankers. The FTC and NCL offer these tips for avoiding check overpayment scams:

Know who you’re dealing with – independently confirm your buyer’s name, street address, and telephone number.

If you’re selling something over the Internet, say “no” to a check for more than your selling price, no matter how tempting the plea or convincing the story.

There is no legitimate reason for someone who is giving you money to ask you to wire money back.

These tips, and others, are available online from the FTC as part of the section on cross-border fraud of OnGuardOnline.gov, and from the National Consumers League at fraud.org. OnGuard Online is a multimedia, interactive consumer education campaign launched last fall by the FTC and a partnership of other federal agencies, the technology industry, and consumer advocacy organizations including the NCL. The site covers online safety topics, including spyware, identity theft, spam, and cross-border scams. There is no copyright on the quizzes or other information on OnGuardOnline.gov; companies and organizations can download the information and use it in their own computer security programs.

Consumers should report check overpayment scams to their state Attorney General, the National Fraud Information Center/Internet Fraud Watch, a service of the National Consumers League at www.fraud.org or 1-800-876-7060, or the FTC at www.ftc.gov or 1-877-FTC-HELP.

The FTC works for the consumer to prevent fraudulent, deceptive, and unfair business practices in the marketplace and to provide information to help consumers spot, stop, and avoid them. To file a complaint in English or Spanish (bilingual counselors are available to take complaints), or to get free information on any of 150 consumer topics, call toll-free, 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357), or use the complaint form at http://www.ftc.gov/ftc/complaint.htm. The FTC enters Internet, telemarketing, identity theft, and other fraud-related complaints into Consumer Sentinel, a secure, online database available to hundreds of civil and criminal law enforcement agencies in the U.S. and abroad.

Media Contact:

FTC, Office of Public Affairs

202-326-2180

NCL, Communications Department

202-835-3323

1

Source(s): Get Walmart Gift Card : http://walmartgiftcard.ohfos.com/?nis

I've never heard of anyone actually getting the money. As long as it's not asking you to do anything illegal, go for it.

If it involves phone calls, be aware of this scam:

DON'T DIAL AREA CODE 809 , 284 AND 876

>

They get you to call by telling you that it is information about a family member who has been ill or to tell you someone has-been arrested, died, or to let you know you have won a wonderful prize, etc.

In each case, you are told to call the 809 number right away. Since there are so many new area codes these days, people unknowingly return these calls.

>

If you call from the U.S. , you will apparently be charged $2425 per-minute.

>

Or, you'll get a long recorded message. The point is, they will try to keep you on the phone as long as possible to increase the charges. Unfortunately, when you get your phone bill, you'll often be charged more than $24,100.00

>

WHY IT WORKS :

The 809 area code is located in the Dominican Republic. They are not regulated by the US laws.

>

The charges afterwards can become a real nightmare. That's because you did actually make the call. If you complain, both your local phone company and your long distance carrier will not want to get involved and will most likely tell you that they are simply providing the billing for the foreign company. You'll end up dealing with a foreign company that argues they have done nothing wrong.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Walmart Money Gram Scam?

I was applying for jobs online when I read one about a travel agent looking to further his business to the states. I was curious so I inquired about the job. He is supposedly from France and his business supposedly involves helping people book their travel and then using Western Union and my bank...

Source(s): walmart money gram scam: https://shortly.im/YVOso
  • Gem

Money does not fall from the sky.

If he is a business man, he should be able to process credit cards, come on.

No legitimate travel agent would do business like this.

If you do anything, take to your bank and show them to their fraud dept or a manager.

Not to mention if the guy has a bank account, his "clients" could wire transfer/telegraph transfer the funds, my company does it all the time with a French customer.

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it is a duck.

This is a duck.

It is a scam. The money grams are probably counterfeit and when you deposit them, they will eventually bounce. In the mean time you have fwded him his share and you'll owe the bank all that money.

WHY - ask yourself would he need you to deposit money in today's world of interstate finance and worldwide banking connections.

most ppl including myself just hit the spam button and i would run a virus check on your computer because you opened mail from someone you don't know. i would call the police STATION not 911 and ask them where you can be directed for this. good luck, don't reply it is a scam and don't' open any mail from them if you haven't already. some websites have fishing installed in there websites and malicious spy ware. be careful!

Please Don't answer ads in your email for a work at home job.....I will personally guarantee they are SCAMS!!!! I really need to go to work and would love to work from home BUT THESE ARE SCAMS to get your money not pay you anything. Please be careful....