why do most asians have arranged marriages?

i have nothing against them but i just feel that arranged is just

its just....

not the way i want to be getting married

what are your opinions on arrange marriages?

• Eve
    Favorite Answer

I have several friends that are planning on arranged marriages. The primary difficulty of finding someone you're compatible with in the non-arranged marriage world is finding someone that is ready to commit and with whom you have similar values: religion, culture, income bracket, politics, life goals, # kids you want, how you want to raise your children, where you want to live, etc. Obviously some of those are more static than others, but generally you want to have similar views with your spouse on those issues. In an arranged marriage, your parents find someone that shares your values. It's not like you don't meet the person before you marry - the families introduce the arranged and they decide after a few dates if they want to marry. If you're having an arranged marriage you don't HAVE to marry the first person your parents introduce you to, but they introduce you to people until you find one with whom you are compatible. It's kind of like speed dating, but everyone shares your fundamental values. In some cultures, women are expected to be married around 22. In the US, those women are in college so they don't have time to find a guy who shares their religion, culture, etc so their parents find guys they can marry after they graduate. An arranged marriage isn't part of my culture, but I think it's a perfectly acceptable option for those who choose it. I know a few very happy couples that were arranged.

well , firstly it is not most asians that have arranged marriages. Indian, Bangladeshi, middle eastern and Turkish cultures- it is traditional to but an arranged marriage is very different to a forced one.

Arranged marriage is when dating and planned meets are arranged (sometimes with escorts) with the planned outcome being marriage. Depending on how strict and traditional the families are- the bride or groom will have their opinion in this.

when you think of how chaotic the dating scene is and how many people are commitment phobic- arranged marriage actually doesn't sound bad at all. For a 30 year old woman, with a ticking biological clock- finding someone who wants to marry and have children AND who has no baggage is nigh on impossible it seems.....With this in mind- Are you sure you wouldn't want one??

if i was in the example- i think i'd sign up!

Source(s): married 07/09/08

Arranged marriages still take place because its tradition. Many people feel that if they go against the arranged marriage they will be shunned. The marriages were arranged may years ago for economic or legal reasons. These economic/legal reasons take precedence over the individual wants because the goal of selecting a well-matched couple deals with the interests of the family or community goals --the community/family goals served by the marriage are seen as paramount, and the preference of the individual is considered insignificant.

Although I wouldn't want to be in one many of those that are in arranged marriages like it as the pressure to find the perfect one is not there and it is what is expected of them.

• I think there is still arranged marriages in asia but times have definitely changed and more (if not most) are not. As to why arranged marriage exist, I THINK that's because the parents want to choose a family of the same standing in society or one with better standing. ;))

Umm... most Asians choose their own partners these days. I believe you may be speaking of Indian's who do have a lot of arranged marriages. I'm Chinese and have 4 sisters, tons of "Asian" friends, and we all chose our own partners. My parents were arranged however, and so were their own. It's not a matter of love at that time. It was a matter of who can bear the most males to continue the lineage of your ancestry and who can carry out the business. A lot of arranged marriages turned out pretty good though. My parents are still married and are best friends. Their parents died still married and had a grand old time together. I guess once you know it's going to happen, it just does and you accept it. My parents always joked that they were going to arrange a marriage and in a way, they did with my fiancee. I chose him, they just gave him a little push and asked when he was going to marry me after the 2 year mark. Made him realize that he wanted to marry me and my family accepted him.

There are other cultures such an Indian that also do arranged marriages. Just just Asians.

I agree, though. I think they're wrong. However, the tradition is also dwindling and not as common anymore. In the past, two families would arrange marriage to secure their status is society.

I additionally look to like stories like that.. Princess Hours though it's a drama you will have to watch it coz it is also regarding an arranged marriage of two excessive schoolers who finally (after a ton of fights) fall in love. Courting in the world it is a korean movie with DBSK (Kpop band) as the cast. It quite appears to match your standards however it isn't about an arranged marriage. However t additionally revolves round a high schooler. Enjoy!

Because as per asian culture, wedding is not just the relationship between two people, but it is the relationship between two family. That is why family find out a girl or a guy belongs to the same standard of family.

my opinion is that it is a way that i have not needed to have an arranged marrge and well glad but it is all abut Traditions, culture and bad luck if who you are marrying is butt ugly.

i feel sorry for people forced to marry abusive partners and the idea of not knowing the beauty of that persons personality and knowing that that person does not LOVE you or know your likes and dislikes and maynot have any intrests in anything you are intrested in.

good luck to anyone who has to do this and wish the best for your future.

tricky subject. look into over google and yahoo. that will might help!