rebel i asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

how to answer a shrink's questions during a mental exam for ssi?

i have an appointment today with a psychiatrist for a mental exam about my ssi and i am very nervous about answering the questions. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Favorite Answer

Normally, in counseling, those of us with a mental illness are taught to focus on the things we can do, and to think positively and use effective coping skills. But for SSI, the doc needs to know why you can't work. So the doc needs to know things like (OK here are some of my problems, due to bipolar disorder, things I would tell the doc)

I sleep 11-14 hours a day when depressed, which is most of the time.

When I am under pressure, I completely fold up and bawl my eyes out and can't do anything. I struggle not to kill myself if I burn a casserole, for example, because I was talking on the phone or something. When I am under pressure, (such as have to be at work on time) I have more severe depression (OK doc says it is mixed moods, depression and mania together). If my boss tells me I did something wrong, I am so upset I have to quit or I will kill myself.

My medication makes me too tired to get up. When I do get up, it takes me 3 hours of chugging coffee and sitting under a seasonal affective disorder light to wake up, and then by afternoon, I am really drowsy again. I would be an unsafe driver having to drive while so drowsy, as well.

I am so stressed when the boss gives me directions (because they are an authority figure) that I cannot remember them and then screw up or forget to do something.

Those are some examples of problems. Remember, if you can't get to work when you are scheduled for work because you are too sad to function, or too drowsy from meds, an employer can't depend on you. You are unemployable. The doc needs to know this!

Good luck to you. I'm going to give you my standard blurb on social security disability. Some stuff doesn't apply to you:

You should contact your county social services offices and see what help may be available. I know in my area, a guy needed SSI, and a local church plus general welfare helped pay his bills until the social workers could get his SSI paperwork thru. He has schizophrenia or something, I'm not sure (don't like him, so I don't ask.) The mental health problem has to be very severe, or if you have another condition like low vision or hearing loss, the two disabilities together may be very severe. You have to be unable to work at any job where you could earn about $800 a month or more. So if you can flip burgers, you don't qualify. Some states have a program you pay into while you work that will pay for short term disability (that's what it's called, there is short term and long term disability). I know California had that, I used that program. I am pretty sure that Massachusetts does too. You can look at pay stubs and see if there is some state plan you have been paying into. Your employer may have been offering short term and long term disability. Long term disability covers mental illnesses only 2 years, usually (discrimination) but that will get you over to SSI/SSA.

Get the book "Social Security Disability" from Nolo Press, at nolo.com, or see if you can get it at your library (maybe even through an interlibrary loan?) It will give you a lot of background on how to apply, what criteria are used, and how to fill out the forms.

You have to be profoundly disabled to get disability, and if you are relatively young and educated, it will be harder. But if you really can't hold down a job, and you can document that, you should get it eventually. You will almost certainly be rejected the first time, and the process takes awhile, so somehow you have to manage your finances in the meantime.

Keep in mind that once you go on disability, you will never get off of it, no one does. You will be in poverty the rest of your life unless you marry out of it or a miracle cures you. The ways the rules are make you dependent on the system, so keep that in mind when you are deciding if you want to do this. A lot of people have no choice, because they can't work at all, or they can't keep a job with insurance to get their pills. but it's still humiliating in America to have no job-people always ask when you are being introduced,"Oh hello, what do YOU do for a living?" which ends up being a very nosy question without meaning to. If you can get supportive help from social services (in my state, they will pay for support groups and a social worker to visit and help with paperwork) or tweak your meds some more, or from a local consumer group (google the words consumer, mental, and your state. Consumer=person getting mental health services) then maybe you won't have to go on disability.

I'm on SSA myself, and need the Medicare, so I'm not being judgmental, I just want you to know what you're getting into. For me, there was no other way. I know a lot of people in the same boat. Get the book I recommended, it will give you all the legal and inside information to see if you qualify.

All the best to you! I hope you feel better soon!

• abrew

Ssi Questions

Social Security Mental Exam

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): answer shrink questions mental exam ssi: https://tr.im/xS1NI

In my opinion, you need to be brutally honest about yourself, or the test/exam will be of no benefit to you. These tests are done to assess your need for medication and to help you and your doctor focus upon a direction for your therapy to get you the help that you need. If you are not honest in your answers, you will only be hurting yourself.

These tests are not to JUDGE you, they are to help your doctor help YOU. Keep that in mind.

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/awDBx

Yes, some people do. But, with your two denials already your approval is very unlikely.

I really wouldn't worry about it at all, just speak honestly whenever they ask you a question. You might think something about yourself is dysfunctional, but most of the time it is perfectly healthy.

You are going to get the best treatment if you answer the questions honestly and completely.