Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsBaseball · 1 decade ago

Do you think red sox fans really act like this?

' As soon as the Red Sox won the 2004 World Series, Boston fans took on a swaggering, entitled persona, acting as if they alone invented sports fandom and behaving as if nothing else in baseball mattered but them.'

• Eric B
    Favorite Answer

I'm a Sox fan and still can't believe that we won it all. I will NEVER take for granted the success we've had over the past few years as I waited for 20 years to see it (and that wasn't a fraction of what some waited). I'm sorry to hear that some believe that all Sox fans are like this. We're not.

Red Sox fans are the new Yankees fans, except the Red Sox never won a WS without opening their wallet. The Yankees built their 90s dynasty on farm players, the Sox won their last few series by paying big bucks for Manny, Pedro, Damon, Billy Koch and the like.

Don't believe these Bostonians. Yes, they do act like this. From my many trips to Boston, and just living in NY, everyone of them acts the same. Go to a Yankees game. You'll see a few Red Sox fans. Even if they don't play them. Same thing with Mets games. They all wear their Sox jersies, Sox hats. Hell, I even saw someone at an Islanders (yes, hockey) game wear a Red Sox jersey.

But i guess if my team won 2 championships in 90 years i'd hold a grudge too.

• Greta

Real Red Sox fans don't.

I'm a Red Sox fan and I appreciate our recent success SO much. I never take it for granted, brag about it or think that we deserve more.

Just because SOME "fans" act like that, doesn't mean all fans are in that category. I know I'm not. I'm extremely appreciative of the Red Sox' two WS championships in the past five years. I don't have any sense of entitlement cause I know how it used to be.

• I would say that's probably true of the wagon fans and a small portion of the Nation. However I think the people who love the Red Sox don't take stuff for granted and embrace the moment. It's like myself, as a Rays fan I won't take this season for granted because it's never a guarantee it will happen in the next 10 years again. So hopefully they win it all.

lol in response to your answer I am not a Red Sox fan at all...I am a Mets fan but highly support Joe Torre for being an excellent coach and excellent person in general. please don't make accusations before you state things its rather ignorant and childish (no offense) if I may add.

You know they have been doing that with the Patriots and they don't like losing which is what they are doing with the Red Sox and the Patriots.

doesn't every fan do that when their team wins the pennant? I have never seen anything to the contrary.

A lot of them did. But a lot of them didn't. They shouldn't all be painted with the same broad brush.