can you die from a broken heart?

ok, so u can get all these kind of illnesses, cancer, flu and alsorts. heart attack etc etc - but can you die from a broken heart? i believe you can

Favorite Answer

YES YOU CAN!!!

there is a technical term, but it is where your head and heart dictate the way your body works... it is called psychosomatic...

Yes, your heart is the most important organ in your body. I have had this argument many times before. The brain and lung are definitely not as important as your heart and if is broken then yes you die. But to be real, there is no such thing as a "broken heart". It is an expression. I think it can be a reflection of emotional distress. That is something that can be medically examined. I believe that there has never been a recorded case of someone dying from being "sad/broken hearted". But there are problems that stem from the emotional distress that lead to death. The most obvious one is suicide. But also indirect problems, such as cancer and heart disease, can occur.

Not literally, but great tragedy or grief can evolve into depression. Not eating, sleeping, eventually losing interest in life, all these can and do mean to these tragic people, that life is no longer worth living, the heart does not break, but the mind gives up and no matter what friends ,and family try to do to help, the mind is made up, that there is only one way , out of the pain, and the inevitable happens. I suppose it looks like the heart broke, but in the end the mind makes the final decision.

Aaawww Hun, I think it is possible. Your Great Grandmother probably has lost her "will" to live because she has lost her husband. She may think that there is no point now because he was her life. Sometimes people just kind of give up, let go and see what happens. My partners Nan had a few little strokes and recovered ok, but then had a big one. Ended up in hospital not being able to eat, talk or even go to the loo herself. Nan could still understand everything but hated what was going on with her body. She just kind of went away (her mind) and died a few weeks later, I do believe she had given up because of her circumstances. I do hope you are alright Nat, try to talk to someone, it does help. Doesn't make the feelings go away, but makes them a bit easier to deal and cope with. Your Great Grandmother might find her will to live again, but she may not. 64 years is a long time, and if she keeps living a year without him will probably seem a whole lot longer because she has lost him XXX take care Nat.

I think you can too - ive heard many cases where people that have lost a long term partner die shortly after them, and I genuinely believe this is through a broken heart and missing them so desperately - basically they give up the will to live

xx

yes. i nearly did.

i had lost the will to live and went through depression and all that.then i contemplated suicide for a while. but luckily i managed to overcome it.

i can certainly see how people would die from a broken heart, because it is more painful than any physical injury you can get

i think u can... i am heart broken at the moment and i feel like jumpnig a bridge... it reli hurts u. so yeh i do belive so x

yes you can. I have heard people die of that. I actually know someone who did.

Yes you can

Yes, especially if you ask emo questions.