Are we all too keen to label our children?

Why is it that whenever there is a post about a child acting in a way that is slightly 'unusual' some people will immediately answer 'Have you had them tested for autism?' Likewise, when a child is misbehaving they get the 'ADHD' label! Children are individuals. Children... show more Why is it that whenever there is a post about a child acting in a way that is slightly 'unusual' some people will immediately answer 'Have you had them tested for autism?' Likewise, when a child is misbehaving they get the 'ADHD' label!

Children are individuals. Children are:

Shy
Eccentric
Naughty
Quiet
Loud (mine!)
Confident
Bossy
Selfish
Nervous
Serious
Smiley

I could go on and on ... yet whenever someone posts about their child's behaviour there is always the 'Perhaps they have 'x'.

I hope you answer this one Ang! I'm sure you'd have great insight.

Are people too keen to label other people's children these days rather than just accept it is all about personality?
Update: 3mom - quote: "I know that there are many many families who struggle with the real disorders and work so hard to overcome so many obstacles that most of us can't even imagine. I would think that if I were that parent, I would immensely resent the caviler way people use those terms." Thank you -... show more 3mom - quote:

"I know that there are many many families who struggle with the real disorders and work so hard to overcome so many obstacles that most of us can't even imagine. I would think that if I were that parent, I would immensely resent the caviler way people use those terms."

Thank you - that was kind of where I was going with the question (which is why I mention Ang in my post as she has a son who has a 'genuine' label'.

I know little or nothing about most childhood disorders and so any answers I give to 'behaviour' problems tend to be along the lines of 'ask an expert'.