Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkEthnic Cuisine · 1 decade ago

What are the health benefits of pickled ginger? You know the pink ginger included in a box of sushi.?

I love pickled ginger & had never heard of it before until I took up having sushi for lunch & it took me awhile to find out what the pink thingee in there was as the person selling the sushi didn't know the words for it in English.

I've just discovered you can buy it in a plastic container in the supermarket so I always have some in the fridge & have it after dinner. It must be healthy seeing as it's part of Japanese cuisine, so what benefit to health would the Japanese think it has?

Lilliana what are you talking about? What have lyrics got to do with food?

Best Answer

I am a former chef and it is used for cleansing the palate after eating sushi and sashimi, ginger aids in digestions and helps with intestinal gas, plus it is an antioxidant too.

I worked in Japan and there it is coloured for the visual aspects, they do make a non-coloured version, no chemical in the pink one just food colouring, no animal ingredients, I have also made salad dressing with it and the umeboshi plum paste for fruit and lettuce salads.

Pickled Ginger Health Benefits

Pickled Ginger Benefits

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I've just discovered you can buy it in a plastic container in...

Source(s): health benefits pickled ginger pink ginger included box sushi: https://shortly.im/PUEit
  • Rena

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/au0PZ

I've used it for motion sickness (crystallized ginger keeps great in the purse), and my friend eats it to help ease her arthritis -- she says it's anti-inflammatory. Go to an Asian market and you can get pickled ginger, which is great in sushi, green salads, next to cooked fish, or as a condiment for sandwiches. There's two kinds -- very thin pink slices, and bright red matchsticks. The pink slices are usually a little milder, IMO. I love it in stirfries, too, with a good dose of garlic. You can get a ginger grater, which is basically a board with little sharp prongs sticking up. It grates the fresh ginger in a wink. I also use tubed grated ginger for convenience. Oh, and here's a recipe for a sauce for potstickers: 3 Tbsp. Soy sauce, 1 Tbsp. rice vinegar, a drop or two of rayu (spiced sesame oil) and a teaspoon of grated ginger. Very yummy! AND, you can grow it in a pot if you really love it. I don't know if you can harvest it or not, but I've got a sprouted ginger in my pantry right now that's begging for some dirt. I heard they make lovely houseplants.

I am not sure of the health benefits, but the idea behind why it goes with sushi, is because when you put wasabi on top of your roll, the pickled ginger is used to eat after to take the "burn" of the wasabi away. It's used to cool your mouth down. Hope this helps you.

The ginger is there to give another flavor. Ginger is also good for you. Pickled ginger should not be pink. The pink is unnatural color - you should get the natural kind.

It aids digestion.

Source(s): My Japanese friends.