How come the infirm old man that I visited at the nursing home said "f**k off" when I told him "Jesus loves u?

I was visiting old people at a nursing home with my dog. My dog is very good with people and they all like her. I volunteer to bring my dog to the home to comfort people and everyone there loves her.

I also like to spread the Word. I was visiting with one old man who is near death and telling him about Jesus. He didn't want any part of that. He was so opposed to hearing it that he told me to "f**k off". I was deeply offended at this.

Why would he do this?

Favorite Answer

Men hate God without cause,like the Atheists.

Because when you are old and worn out and racked with pain and losing your mental acuity; when you can no longer pee without it feeling like razor blades, no longer walk without assistance and no longer bathe yourself; when you have neither dignity nor strength nor comfort and never will get them back, it's a bit rich for some prissy little know it all who is only useful to hang onto the leash of a dog (who demonstrates comfort and love far better than any Christian let alone those bothersome evangelists like you) to tell you that you are the crowning creation of a perfect intelligent designer who loves you and can do anything he wants, and yet leaves you such an empty wreck of a man.

Ooh I forgot - let's not ignore the fact that that old man to be worthy of the name probably either fought in, or knew many who did, a terrible and ghastly war that saw millions dead, millions more maimed and entire countries left in ruins. That he felt more than the younger generation can the shock of hearing about Auschwitz and Buchenwald, reading those first dreadful reports of the death camps built to eliminate followers of one religion by men with "God is with us" on their belt buckles. Let's not forget an even older old man may remember too the breadlines and shanty-town garrets of the great depression when millions of Americans - God's own blessed little modern paradise - suffered from malnutrition and disease and infant mortality rates that looked like Africa's for most of a generation. Or if he's a younger old man - not really much of an old man at all to anyone but a callow youth - he might have been in the jungles of Southeast Asia while his friends had to hold in their guts while they died as teenagers fighting to stem the tide of "godless communism" for the McCarthyite fundies back home.

Yeah that old man has a lot to thank your god for I'll bet.

it doesn't sound like you asked him if he wanted to hear The Word. In fact he told you once that he didn't want any part of it.

What part of No Thanks don't you get?

I'd tell you EXACTLY the same thing if you didn't get the message the first time.

Suggest you work on listening skills as much as compassionate understanding of where people are in life. Spreading the Word is not the ultimate acto of charity, it is egocentric.

Because he wanted you to **** off. What is so hard to understand about that? I bet you'd act the same if a Muslim tried sharing the word of Muhammad to you.

Perhaps he was offended by you preaching to him. He did not ask you about Jesus so he probably didn't want to hear about Jesus. My suggestion is that you keep"the word" to yourself unless people ask you about it.

It may be possible he recognized the insincere nature of your visit. Why can't you see you were offensive to the man?

Cause Jesus to him is like Family Guy to you.

Your preaching is annoying, and when an atheist is in the last stages of life, (s)he doesn't want to hear your drivel.

Because he's smart and going through enough without your trying to convert him.

You wouldn't understand if I told you.

Source(s): Another old man.