Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 1 decade ago

Brand New Big Game Hunting Rifle!!!?

Now i own a 270. win and love this gun and i hunt anything from a coyote to a moose with it. I have never had a moose run more then 30 yards after i have shot it but i usually have to put at least 2-3 shots in it. SO i want a bigger gun that i can use on moose and elk.

I have either shot this calibers or have been on hunts with my partner who shoots them and i dont know what to get. 30-06, 7mm rem mag, 7mm STW or the 300. wsm. What do you think about this calibres? What do you suggest? I know alot of you will suggest the 30-06 but i have shot it before and i dont really like it that much.

Favorite Answer

If you already have a 270 winchester and you want to go with something with bigger, better performance, then I don't think the 30-06 is much of a step up. The 270 and 30-06 are pretty interchangable.

I'd suggest a 7mm remington magnum as the way to go. 7mm STW won't be around much longer (it is being displaced by 7mm Ultramag) The traditional 300 winchester magnum or it's ballistic twin, the 300 WSM would also be a good choice. (the 300 WSM can be used in a short action rifle, but as the catridge is short and fat, you get one less cartridge in the gun)

• SM

MPM, I have hunted and taken several large animals from elk, bison, cape buffalo, lion, and several large plains animals from Africa. There are two rifles of my own that I have used, the 338 win mag and the 375 Ruger. Both have been very reliable in taking game in North America, Africa, Australia, Alaska, and an engine block from a 350 chevy motor.

I have a 30-06 and a 7mag that I have used on Elk. With the proper weight bullet they are capable of taking both elk and moose. I have had a couple of second shots from the 06 on elk and there are certain minimum calibers that you have to use in parts of Africa. The 338 can be loaded from a 180 gr to a 350 gr bullet and will take anything in North America. If you want a good all around caliber look at a 338.

The 375 Ruger is another large caliber rifle that is finding a good following in North America with elk and moose hunters. True it is over kill for deer, but with proper shot placement there is not that much damage to the animal, and there is NO need for a second shot. Bullet selection is improving and the ballistics for the 375 are impressive. Take a look at one and see what you think. Good luck and Good hunting.

Source(s): Retired Navy Armorer, master fire arms instructor, rangemaster, competitive marksman, gunsmith, hunting all around the world.

A 7mm rem mag. is what I hunt with and I wouldn't trade if for anything. It will drop a moose with one shot. It is a very powerful gun and very deadly at great distances away. I have killed deer up to 425 yards away with mine and have them drop on the spot without taking a single step. Just make sure that you are shooting them in a vital spot and not just anywhere. The heart is the best.

Hey Jason. My condolences on your grandfather, but you have something you can use and remember him everytime you shoot. Biggest Game: That depends a lot on your circumstances. If I am in the situation I currently enjoy (well fed!) I would use that little bolt action to hunt squirells, rabbits and other small game that weigh less than 20 pounds. If I remember correctly your little bolt action rifle can shoot .22 shorts, longs and long rifle, so you have a lot of flexibility in ammo selection. I don't know who produces .22 longs, but the .22 shorts are still available and great options for squirrels and other critters where you want low noise. You can learn all the basics of hunting with your .22. Treasure it. If I am terribly hungry, or my actions will feed people I love, and the .22 is my only weapon, then I'll take deer size (or larger) with it. Shot placement is everything, patience is key to success and learning to trail is the difference between survival and starvation. But it is a situation I really don't want to experience. My dad and grandfathers have, but their efforts have helped me avoid this situation.

You say you didn't care for the 30-06. Was it the recoil? If so stay with what you have. Anything more powerful than a .270 will have more recoil.

• MuhdER

I love my .338 win mag on deer. I know if I ever went Moose hunting I could make a shot without fear using the .338.

The best choice for your purpose is the 7mm Remington Magnum.*

Source(s): Run like a Deer.*...........Fly like an Eagle.*~~

.338 Win Mag all the way!

YOU want the bigger bullet like .325wsm or.338win mag

search around on this site they got cheap guns Http://www.rrarms.com

click rifles on the right side and select their calibers they are really cheap