Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsCycling · 1 decade ago

I need Advice and Suggestions for high priced bikes?

Stats: 5'9", 255 lbs.

Current Bike: 1975 Sears and Roebuck 18 speed Grand Peak, weight: 40 lbs or so.

work commute - H to W: 3 miles uphill 20-25 minutes; W to H: 3 miles downhill 15-20 minutes.

New bike characteristics: cost of $1,500 or less, 18 - 27 speed, fenders, rear rack, road/tour bike with mountain bike handle bars. Has to be able to handle my weight plus gear.

I want it to be sturdy enough to handle heavier errands (i.e. grocery shopping) but light and quick enough to cut my ride time to work by 5-10 minutes. Tires must be standard 26 x 1.25 so that I can pick up spare tubes easily at any general retail store; there are no bike stores near my home.

Any suggestions on what bike brand/model might work well for me?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Ben
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I appreciate that you are on a budget, but $1,500 is not a high priced bike. Rather, that's a medium price.

That said, you can get what you need much cheaper than that. Take a look at the bike below, which might meet your needs. It's on sale now at Performance for $300 and there is a coupon out that is good for another 10 percent off that.

Friend of mine bought one recently and is very pleased with it for the same use you described. It includes rack, lights, etc. for commuting.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Take a look at the Trek FX line or the Specialized Sirrus collection. They are what we call flat bar road bikes, as the handle bars are straight but the wheels are sized like a road bike. The tires are a bit wider, typically a 28 or 32 which is great for comfort and for flat resistance. You can easily attach racks, fenders, panniers, etc., and will be much lighter than your current ride. Although you specified that you want a bike with 26" tires, just buy extra tubes when you get a bike. A 700 sized tire is standard for non-mountain or BMX bikes, so they should be found just as easily as a 26" tube.

• 3 years ago

Your height should not be various an argument as long as you may get your ft on the floor. be taught your inseam to the seat height. And on the subject of the bike, congratulations, yet be risk-free. The motorcycles you stated are incredibly plenty song waiting, and are not in all likelihood for novices. seem right into a Ninja 500. besides the actuality that it truly is a 500, it will be much less useful than the six hundred's, and plenty extra advantageous to lean on. in actuality, i think of you may love the 08 Ninja 250. Its a tremendous bike to be taught on and throw around somewhat untill you're grounded. good approximately now a 250 or a 500 are sounding truly small, yet purely to supply you attitude, the 250 will shop up with maximum activities autos. in addition to, an 06 R6 claims a hundred and forty hp on the crank. It weighs around 370lbs with some gasoline. this can provide it a skill to weight ratio of a supercar. You wouldnt initiate making use of in a Ferrari, so the comparable theory applys right here. The MSF course is definaty nicely worth it and you would be taught plenty. i'm additionally incredibly specific which you wont could desire to do the state street attempt in maximum states in case you do MSF. good success, and stay risk-free.

• 1 decade ago

Specialized Sirrus not high end but you would not even no you have started on a 3mile cycle. In the Uk they start at about £500 so about half your budget i would guess.

They have 700c wheels not 26" but if your store does not stock tyres & tubes just get a couple of spares for a few quid (sorry $)mail order & keep them in.

If you want speed your find it much easier on a 700c wheel than 26".

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

$1500 gets you a good bike, but not even close to high end. High end bikes start at about $6000. Sounds like you want a good city bike that can also handle some light trails. Rockymountain has a nice selection of high quality city commuter bikes for about the price your willing to pay. But as soon as you look at their other bikes, you will want to spend more considering how nice they are.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Look at a commuter or a touring bike or a hybrid

http://www.raleighusa.com/bikes/hybrid/

http://www.fujibikes.com/LifeStyle/City/Crosstown2...

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/lifestyl...

http://revolutioncycles.com/page.cfm?pageID=188

There are many bikes to chose from. Find the local bike shops in the yellow pages and take a look at the different ones. You can not get these bikes any other way.

• 1 decade ago

My only question is: Are you going to compete professionally, trying to impress or are you going for comfort and ease.

My hope is that you are realistic and understand that an 18 year old kid on a Huffy can smoke you... Make the best investment that fits your budget, but understand that a Lamborghini can only go 65 mph on the highway no matter how many ACME rockets you shove in the tailpipe....

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

ya

get a road bike with 700c wheels [most of them do]

anything 26" will be a mt bike and not very fast on roads

wle.

• 1 decade ago

1. http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bike...

2. cannondale.com

3. gtsbikes.com

4. trekbikes.com

all your questions are answered by this sites.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.