Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 1 decade ago

Is the 44 Magnum the most powerful handgun in the world?

Is the 44 Magnum the most powerful handgun in the world ,like in the dirty Harry movie, or is there a more powerful hand gun like the 357 magnum?

24 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The .44 mag is much more powerful than the .357 mag, and in Dirty Harry's day it was the most powerful handgun in the world. Now it has been surpassed by any number of handguns, including the .454 Casull, the .480 Ruger, and the .500 Smith and Wesson. There are even breech-loading hand "cannons" chambered for rifle cartridges like the 7mm-08 and .30-06. They kick a little.

• larry
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

For half of all shooters, the 357 Magnum is the most powerful handgun in their world, because they can't handle well anything more powerful. A 16 inch bore ship's deck gun with a handgrip stuck on it is still the powerhouse around here, but if a person finds it a bit much, then it may as well not exist, and many already say it does not! The new 500 S&W has even the most hairy-knuckled of us crying for a downloading of it, for any multiple shot sessions! A necessary service was thusly performed by S&W in bringing out the near-ultimate handgun, which has shown us the true value of blustering. Personally, I find that width/size of bullet requires too much power to establish sufficient velocity for decent trajectory past dense woods hunting distances. But if that is what it is to be used for, sure, why not have the best brush bucking handgun ever invented? This is talking 44 Magnum power levels, which with the muzzle brake aren't much worse than a 357, for a pleasing (and surprising) full circle on that one! Regards, Larry.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Nope, and first of all the .44 magnum is much more powerful than a .357 mag, although the .357 does put out some impressive velocity and knock-down power. I would say that the Smith and Wesson .500 is at the top of the list among handguns.

• 1 decade ago

Not even close. Excluding single-shot pistols like the TC Encore which chamber rifle rounds up to the .416 Rigby, the most powerful handgun in the world is probably the Model 500 Smith & Wesson revolver in .500 S&W Magnum.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 years ago

a carry a 44 magnum but also a carry a 40 cal and it depend on the situation a had use a lot like shooting true doors and cars glass and stuff you would even want to know itimidation is the key and a 44 shiny smith wesson wil make your enemy pee in their pants my grandfather carry the same revolver in wordlwar 2 and my dad korea and vietnam me in afganistan whit the berreta 9mm and the m4 but am cop now so a carry both dectective now a change to 500 and retired the 44 of course a send it to simth and weesson to tune up new springs triger job and keep it shiny staniless steel fore ever

• Tex G
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

<Match 357 and 38 the 357 gun can fire both these rounds. A 44 will not enter the chamber of a 357. It is a much larger round, With a lot more power. It is most powerful handgun in the State.

There is a 50 Cal. Made over sea. It is a powerful handgun. It fire a full oz of lead. But the 357 and the 44 have more range. But knox down the 50 cal and our 1941 45 can.

A good gun shop can give you details on all these handgun.

Source(s): general knowledge.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The .357 Magnum is not as powerful a load as the .44 magnum. The .44 uses a bigger bullet with more propellant. For years the .44 mag was the most powerful handgun, but lately there have been two .50 calibre handguns and rounds introduced that are more powerful still.

There really is no good reason for a larger handgun caliber than the .357mag. It will do everything a larger load will do, with less distress to the shooter and for a lot less money. The .44mag and the .50calibre Casull are NOT pleasant to shoot: there's way too much noise and way, way too much recoil.

The .44mag makes a good medium-range load for a rifle or carbine. It'll put down any big game animal on the North American continent and put it down right now! I fired a .44Mag revolver and I don't care to do it again. I'd certainly never carry one into combat: that movie with Clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry was pure bullshlt: an experienced cop would know better than to haul such a weapon along on duty. He wouldn't have grabbed and used a friggin' elephant gun trying to stop a crackpot with a submachine gun, either.

• 1 decade ago

Today the 44 magnum is way down the list of power. It just depends if you can handle the recoil.

Baddest calibers

454 casull

475 linebaugh

50 S&W

460 S&W

480 Ruger

50 AE

There are other 50 cal specialty calibers as well, from Linebaugh and Freedom Arms

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

i have a S&W 460. i was told this was the most powerful handgun in the world. it's suppose to have stopping energy of a 500 and the velocity of a 454. maybe i was told wrong but for a revolver, this gun is a monster to shoot.

• H
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

It wasn't even the most powerful handgun in the world when Inspector 'Dirty' Harry Callaghan said it was back in the Seventies. It wasn't then and it isn't now. Back in the day of Dirty Harry the .454 Casull was the most powerful handgun and had been for about ten years. Yes, the .454 Casull had already been around for about a decade but it wasn't very well known then. Today even the Casull isn't the most powerful handgun. That honor defaults to the X-frame Smith & Wesson in .500 S&W Magnum for commercially available handguns. Custom jobs are even more powerful than that.

Addendum: Even though the venerable .357 Magnum is not more powerful than the .44 Magnum the .357 Magnum today is recognized as the best manstopper yet. Why? Because the term 'overkill' is just an expression and in itself is an impossibility. A .357 Magnum revolver with a 4" barrel loaded with defensive 125 grain semi-jacketed hollow point ammo from any of the major ammo makers is the best stopper yet known to man. This addendum because I noticed the last part of your question where you asked 'is there a more powerful hand gun like the 357 magnum?' No, the .357 Magnum is not more powerful than the .44 Magnum but it is a better manstopper. The .44 Magnum is better against 4-legged predators and therefore is a better hunting revolver by virture of its increased power over the .357 Mag.

H

• 1 decade ago

The 44 mag was the most powerful production line revolver in Harry's day

But there were wildcatters working on bigger loads as far back as the 50's

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.