Questions about Civil/Environmental Engineering ?

I am a high school student and am currently thinking about which programs to apply to this winter for univerisity. I am really thinking about civil engineering because I LOVE to build stuff, always have and like to learn physics/math. The problem is though I don't think I am that good in math/physics. My math grades have always been 75-78 from grade 9 to grade 11. In grade 12 I was able to get a 81 in advanced functions and currently have a 86-88 in calculus and vectors. I was just wondering if I would be able to handle civil engineering in university? Also if there are any people who had lower grades than me, can you please tell me how it was when you reached university. Thank you :)

Favorite Answer

I agree with the last response. In engineering it is alot of work and as long as you are willing to work hard you can do it. I think many times the students who got straight A's in high school do much worse in college because they never learned how to study properly. Many of my classmates in college were not the greatest in math and still doing well in engineering. We had a student that wanted to be an engineer that started in basic math at the college level and was able to get his engineering degree.

I just graduated this past spring with my Civil Engineering degree. I cannot imagine doing anything else. Civil and mechanical are fairly similar especially the first 2 years of college. So I would definitely look at both.

If you have any questions about engineering feel free to contact me.

Source(s): B.S. in Civil Engineering

Being an engineer means being a problem solver. Your scores were low in math in the PAST, you determine your future.

I only took freshman algebra (C+) and 10th grade geometry (C+). I started at the community college & found a teacher I could learn from & soared through the math. You do want to be ready when you start your physics and statics & dynamics classes. Doing well in math is not about knowing the equations, it's about exercising your brain. If you want to run a marathon you have to train, if you want to be an engineer, you have to train your brain to problem solve, deductive reasoning etc.

Remember Civil engineers build things that make us civilized (buildings, roads, sewers) Mechanical engineers work on things that Move -- elevators, cars, rockets.

what kind of things to you want to build? Your future is at arms reach -- Go For IT!!

Deb

Mechanical Engineer

Source(s): www.swe.org

I agree with all the answers listed so far. Good info, for sure. But as someone stated, engineering, in general, is going to take some work when you get to college. But if you're willing to put the time in and study, you'll be fine. Professors (and/or their teaching assistants) are willing to meet with students outside of class. Take advantage of those opportunities.

I'm a civil engineer, designing roads and highways. Been doing it for 10 years now. My job is a lot of fun, and very interesting. I enjoy it quite a bit. If you'd like additional info, get in touch with me. I'm more than willing to answer any questions.

Mark

Source(s): BS Civil Engineering, University of Michigan

You'd be able to handle to it. No matter how smart you are, an engineering program is a lot of work.

Check out Mechanical Engineering-it's a very general major, and would let you work with buildings, cars, airplanes, computers, electronics, industrial assemblies, etc etc etc. At any rate, the first half of the mechanical and civil engineering programs are the same.

Source(s): Majored in ME at Georgia Tech

you may refer to the various colleges to work out what their specific classes embody, yet many times: Civil is a reasonably wide engineering self-discipline. Environmental is between the sub-disciplines interior of civil, it fairly is a transforming into type of separated. in lots of situations, if the main dazzling is civil and environmental, you will take transport of the choice to take greater classes in a definite sub-self-discipline, which incorporate environmental, structural, and so on. If environmental is its very own substantial, then you certainly will possibly no longer could take the distinctive classes which the different civil sub-disciplines take as uncomplicated classes.