Why is it so hard to make eye contact for me?

I'm a person that's struggled with confidence issues all my life. I find it SO difficult to look people in the eyes when I talk to them. I'm 20 years old, will I ever get over my shyness at this age? Is this normal? My landlord first brought it up to me and said "I could tell you're painfully shy from the... show more I'm a person that's struggled with confidence issues all my life. I find it SO difficult to look people in the eyes when I talk to them. I'm 20 years old, will I ever get over my shyness at this age? Is this normal?

My landlord first brought it up to me and said "I could tell you're painfully shy from the moment I met you because you couldn't look me in the eyes straight for more than 5 seconds!" Ever since it's bothered me and I wonder what people think of me.

I want so badly to be outgoing and gain some confidence but I don't know how. How do I begin to look people in the eyes? I've tried on my own but I consciously think about it when I'm talking to them and it makes me feel really awkward. When people talk back to me I try to make eye contact but I obsess so much over it that I hardly hear what they're saying.

Thanks for any advice!