Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Question about Assisted Suicide and Religion?

What if your parent was gravely ill and after 10 seperate doctors all came to conclusion that there was no hope of recovery. Your parent would be in this state until he/she died but in constant pain.

Now the letter of the law of most religions would say they cannot kill themselves because suicide is wrong, etc, etc.

My question is that if God does things according to a plan...then are you not part of that plan? Are you not there to see the pain?

My question is could possibly God be testing YOU to see if you are willing to sin to release your parent from the pain, basically if you are willing to man up and get your hands dirty for the sake of your parent?

It is acknowledged that it is a virtue to sacrifice your life for another...what about accepting the sin of killing to bring mercy to a loved one?

I am in deep thought today and just curious I do not mean to preach or disturb..and if comes off that way I apolgize not my intention...just wondering what your thoughts are

Fireball > doesn't really answer the question though...you would be the one ending someone else's life..so would not really be a suicide

Floid > Let it out..don't censor yourself :)

JohnFromNC> Well fine but proves you are not aware of most of the world. There are plenty of people in situations where painkillers do not work without causing other painful situations. Which is why I thought of this. Am I supposed to just sit there and watch if nothing can be done...or maybe am I part of the plan to end a person's suffering when there is no recourse.

Favorite Answer

Cases of assisted suicide remind me a lot of abortion laws, gambling laws, or marriage laws. Christians who have no contact with God claiming they know his will and not only following that will, but trying to legislate it so everyone follows their version of the truth. Its sickening.

If you are really against euthanasia, don't do it. but please don't legislate it so all of us have to follow your particular faith's view on what is a secular issue. That is why we were founded on a separation of church and state.

While I personally do not agree with suicide I acknowledge that there is not a cut and dried answer here. I have read many historical accounts about someone administering the Coupe de Grace to a mortally wounded person on the battle field rather than allowing them to suffer agony for a long time. Would not this classify as assisted suicide especially if the dying person expresses a desire to be allowed a quick painless death when the outcome is death inevitably. This is a tough one that sounds like a good Thesis for a Grad. Student.

What sick, demented deity would allow a being he "loves" to suffer through what some people do just to test them?

"possibly God be testing YOU to see if you are willing to sin to release your parent from the pain"

Sure God could be... in which case he is sick and demented and does not deserve my worship (although he has already proven that through the writings in the Bible). That is insanely perverse, the idea that an all powerful God would make you choose between ending the suffering of someone or "not sinning" and have them lie there and suffer...

I think we should end the use of painkillers too. God might be testing that person who has burns over 80% of their body, no reason to ease their pain and cheapen the test God is giving them, right?

In my personal opinion sometimes it is better to let a person go if they are that gravely I'll and all doctors agree that they have no chance of recovery. I think in that case the family needs to put they're want to keep the person alive secondary to if its actually possible for the person to recover. That being said I really dont believe that God has anything to do with this I think we do have a god but that he made us and left us to our own vises to be the judges of these types of situation so I think its more a matter of choosing to be selfless or selfish and realising that life and death is a natural cycle one that we do have a part in and think about it this way even if you are a person who believes in god having a divine plan doesn't that mean that he knows that the person is going to die and that he lets it happen wether it is through a mercy killing or other means

Yours is a very interesting Question and one that deals with humanism vs Religious Values. Through out the Human History it goes through eras of Humanism and eras of strong religious convictions.For those who do not understand what is Humanism it is similar to Atheist beliefs in that we know whats better for us than any GOD of any religion.Problem is that Humanist become very self centered and selfish and that does sound like most Americans today does it not.So to answer your question as a Catholic i would hope they were offering there pain and suffering up for the sins of the World. If i were a Humanist i'd judge there tired of living and make all kinds of reasons why they should die Quickly and with aid if needed.

I think it is always difficult to know when it comes to God testing us. I think that life in general tests us. We live in a fallen world where sin and death and illness is around us. However, I think that assisted suicide is not appropriate. I definitely sympathize with those that are suffering, but the where do we draw the line? The fact is that lots of people in the world are miserable and live a difficult life. Can we slay huge populations because we deem they are suffering?

Since when do we have to believe everything doctors say. God has plenty of promises in his word to heal all that come to him. Even the elderly. The word promises that we can renew our youth like the eagle and live long and healthy on the earth.111 John says that it is Gods absolute will that we be in health ,even as our soul prospers. So, to make that person have a pprospreouis soul I would get a tape recorder and play healing scriptures to him nite and day until those words take root in his heart. Jesus said that out of the bad deposit in a mans heart, bad comes to pass, and out of the good deposit in a mans spirit, good things come to pass, for out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks.You saturate his spirit with Gods healing promises and he will kick those bed clothes off and praise God. Proverbs 4:20-22.says just that. If we pay overwhelming attention to these promises they will be life to our hearts and health to our flesh.

Everything that comes upon us is for the trial of our faith; it is to see if we will remain reliable to God´s will or not. As for sinning to make a right; we cannot proceed from sin to sin and thereby be justified. Whatsoever our cross is in life, we must bear it; some have a lighter cross, and some have a very heavy cross. Nevertheless His grace is sufficient for us; for His strength is made perfect in weakness.

All I can think of is far we have fallen to even think up a hypothetical such as this. People can be comforted enough to allow death to occur on it's own. We don't need doctors speeding up the process. We don't need the threat of sin to have common sense and compassion in these rare cases.

My parents have already told me that if they were in a situation lke this then they would want to die. I would too. End of story.

If the god of the bible would rather me and my family members suffer then he isnt worthy of being called a god. neither would any other deity. I prefer a loving God.