Mike asked in Family & RelationshipsWeddings · 1 decade ago

Am I wrong to know who I want to marry at age 16?

I am currently at age 16 and I am madly in love with my girlfriend, I know that I want to marry her. I have thought of everything like she will be the only girl that I can have and everything like that and I don't care, but do you think that I am jumping the gun?

Best Answer

YES. With all due respect, you are very young and have not seen enough of life. If she truly is the one, you have all of your lives to wait...trust me it will mean more when you are both older and with the engagement comes the planning of your wedding, and the joys of sharing the news with your friends and family. At this age those things are not possible, and thus cheapens the sentiment to a promise, not a true engagement. You want to have your family, education, life experience, and a steady financial footing before your endeavor to do something so meaningful and life-changing.

Source(s): Everyone I know who is who made these promises in high school/middle school....never worked out. Harsh but true.

Your feelings are real, but your logic is...bunk. Sorry :( Unfortunately, this is kind of like those teens that drink and drive, thinking "Gee, I know other people die, but that couldn't happen to me!" Um, yes it could! Specifically, what will VERY likely happen to you is that you'll get divorced. Unless.....

You do the logical thing, which is to WAIT! Keep all the sentimental feelings that you have - don't change a thing about that - but just don't get married. Take the time that you both need to grow up (there's more than just being responsible, it's also about having the experience of living on your own, going to college, and the fact that people change A LOT from 16 to 26. At AT LEAST 25 (28 is best stastically), then think about getting married to your sweetheart. I know that this will be tough. But you have to take the strength of your love and channel it into a mind-set that has the chance of preserving your love instead of the almost certain probability of destroying it. Marriages that are based on true maturity (not at 16, sorry, there are millions of 16 year olds who feel mature but NO ONE AT 16 HAS THE LIFE EXPERIENCE OF A 26 YEAR OLD SORRY TO BREAK THE NEWS) are much more likely to last and stand the test of time.

If you take my advice, you will be sooooooo much happier!

If not, PLEASE TIE HER TUBES AND DO NOT BRING INNOCENT CHILDREN INTO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wish you a lifetime of love and happiness...which, of course, is usually preceded by wisdom.

YES. You should wait until you are done with college. I meet my husband when I was 16 but we didn't get married until I was 26. We wanted to wait until I was done with school and had a good job. He didn't want me to wake up one morning and realize that I got married to young plus he didn't want me to feel that I miss out on thing in life. You also want to make sure that you guys are using some kind of birth control protection. A baby will make thing worse and then you fill get married for all the wrong reasons.

It is okay to believe in your relationship and feel like it may survive the conditions of high school just don't purpose until after you have gotten out of high school atleast. There is nothing wrong with believing in love just realize that anything is possible. My ex thought we were going to get married too, we were both 17 and dated for a year. It just didn't work out. Alot of what you are feeling right now is just raging hormones, stay true to yourself no matter what happens.

It wasn't that long ago that this was a common age to get married. But i will say that keeping your age in mind i would wait at least until you get out of high school to tie the knot. If she all you say she is then waiting to get married wont hurt a thing and it really helps strengthen the relationship.

There is absolutely no problem with that whatsoever. It's a great feeling to find someone who you feel perfect for you young. I would not however actually ask her atleast until you're like a junior in college. College is an experience that can change many opinions. Don't rush into anything and you'll be fine.

• It is awesome that you feel that way about her. However I know a ton of people who were in love at 16 and had been with their bf/gf for years and when they got to college just decided to break up. I think every couple should go one semester of college before considering marriage.

I think its really nice you want to marry her but since your still 16 I'd wait.

Who knows what will happen in the future

• It's sweet that you want to marry her, but if you want to be happy together, first go to college, get a degree, find a nice job, and pop the question then!

Source(s): Your friendly neighborhood Nabooan Queen

Uhh I would maybe just go out with her for a while, maybe move in together in a year or two, go long term. Just to see if it would last on a scale like that.

Because of one word: commitment.