What is the problem with contractors?

I have a large collection of books and had to have shelves built. I wanted something nice and I knew that I'd have to pay a lot of money to have them built. I went through a place that people would bid on your project. The first person basically took the money ($900) and ran. Still have to take him to court but... show more I have a large collection of books and had to have shelves built. I wanted something nice and I knew that I'd have to pay a lot of money to have them built. I went through a place that people would bid on your project. The first person basically took the money ($900) and ran. Still have to take him to court but the agency gave me $500 back.

Second guy...well that was kind of my fault that he didn't do that work. He was ashamed.

Third guy was a charm and my shelves look wonderful. My collection of books has of course grown and I want more shelves. Again I have problems with getting someone. First guy said he'd come over for an estimate. He never showed! He another thing for me earlier in the year and he just threw this job out the window.

I got hold of the guy that found me someone else through his agency and he told me that he'd have someone call me the next day. This was Thursday and I still have not heard from him. I emailed him and never got a response still. He has been sending me emails periodically about his business for the past year regularly and now he doesn't want it!

Why is it that it's so hard to find someone to give work to? Isn't it like passing up money if someone is going to pay you? Why would a contractor not call a person? Is there something that I may be doing wrong in looking for a person?