Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

The Tower of Babel, Do you really believe? ?

Alright, so the descendants of Noah built this tower to reach heaven so that they could have a reputation as God. God found out so he confused everyone with different languages; therefore they couldn't communicate with each other, thus not being able to finish the tower. And thats how languages were created...Now I believe in a God, but I am skeptical about the bible and this is one the reasons I am...Do you believe this is how languages were created? I don't believe how not being able to communicate would stop people from building a tower to heaven...couldn't they use sign language?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I rather think it happened backwards. Just as other animals can speak to each other, we all had a common language as a species. As we became more evolved certain groups would be banding together only speaking to each other. After a time, there would be enough of a difference in dialects that those groups would not really understand eachother and fully pull away to cement all the various cultures. A wonderful example in a modern setting is in Etheopia. A coworker of mine says that there are 8 different dialects of this language that come together in one city, each one different from the others as much as Spanish is from Italian. They all can understand each other, but they can also completely confuse one another by speaking in their own language's proper congugation. Now that we are coming to an age where everyone will speak a new universal language, it is becoming possible to really dig into history farther than we've ever gone.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It doesn't seem to explain different linguistic branches of human language does it? Would the ancient Mayans speak the same language as the Chaldeans before the tower was built?

• 1 decade ago

Considering languages all fall into families and groups that match human migration patterns that have been assembled through genetics and archaeology, no.

Edit:Jonathan, we know how languages develop in isolated communities. We've seen it happen. English, French, Spanish, and Italian did not exist 2000 years ago.

• The world was populated with other races at the time...confusion was for those in that area alone. Better said, the descendants of Noah. Noah being of a certain race.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Watev
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

It's as believable as creationism: Not at all. It's just *poof* and we're all alive. With the Tower of Babel, it's just *poof* and languages came about.

• 1 decade ago

Did you know what the symbol on the European Union poster is? The tower of Babel. If you do not believe the languages were split at the tower of Babel, why exactly do we have so many different languages because all humans should have started with the same language.

• 1 decade ago

There is no evidence to support this story. It is also very unlikely as God has not reacted to our skyscrapers, the pyramids or our probing of the universe.

Edit:

We know that people have been spreading across the world for at least 50,000 years - for example the Australian aborigines have been there for at least 40,000 to 50,000 years.

• 1 decade ago

read the last chapter in Revelation...22:6 and 22:18.

this answers all questions. believe.

Source(s): GOD'S WORD---THE HOLY BIBLE
  • 1 decade ago

Nope

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes

I do believe the Bible and God !

BTW, there were NO other people on earth at this time !

May God bless you as you study His Word

<:)))><

Source(s): King James Bible
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.