Is the Electoral College an Infringment on Our Rights?

If we really aren't being given the chance to actually choose the President of the United States isn't that some sort of infringement on our rights? What is the point of going to vote when our vote actually doesn't matter at all? It is all up to the Electoral College, and any vote can be bought.

I have been reading up on the constitution, bill of rights, and the electoral vote. I am not ignorant, I am just trying to get opinions. I do know that it was a decision of our founding fathers. I don't think people understand the first line of the constitution "We the People" that means you and me and everyone else, that means we could overthrow the government if we wanted to its our right to do so, but some people are such blinded sheep they read and believe what they want. The government is so corrupt and I cannot believe we as Americans are still letting them get away with this.

• crunch
    Favorite Answer

The ideal of the Constitution is every state in the union to have a democratic government directly elected by a majority of citizens of a state. Every city, town and county has a directly elected government.

How much democracy do you need in a Republic?

The idea of a Constitutional Republic and its central government is not to become beholden to powerful well-populated states; it is to adhere to the charter that formed the Republic, by a vote of the states.

The President is the highest elected official of a Republic of States and is the global representative of all the states first and the people of the states second.

The President is Constitutionally elected by a majority of states, not a majority of people in a minority of states.

Your vote in your state's independent Presidential election can make the difference in which candidate's win column your state falls and who gets your state's electoral votes. That is the importance of your vote in your state. You do not have the right to cancel my vote in determining in which candidates win column my state falls.

If the President were to be elected by a direct popular vote, more often than not, a majority of people but a minority of states could elect the President.

I don't believe the majority of states would put up with that in a Republic.

There is a movement afoot to backdoor a legal bypass for the need to Constitutionally abolish the Electoral College with an Amendment, which must be ratified by a majority of states.

An organization is attempting to get state legislatures to change their laws concerning electors by "legally" assigning all of a state's electors to the winner of the nationwide popular vote. The Constitution does give the states authority to do so.

Sound good?

Consider California and New York in the election of 2004. Both went heavily democratic and went into Kerry's win column and he rightfully had their electoral votes.

Bush actually won the popular vote and if that law existed in NY and CA in 2004, all those electoral votes would have gone to Bush, not Kerry.

Do you believe that NY and CA voters for Kerry would have liked that?

My guess is the democrats would have burned Sacramento and Albany to the ground, as indeed their votes would have been meaningless.

The intent is apparently to get just enough states to pass this law so that they can toss those states from a winner to a loser and elect a fraudulent President of a Republic.

Wars have been fought over less.

Overthrowing this government would not be easy as it is wholly corrupt and has been for about 175 years. Voting will not correct the core problem. It is the core problem because as you say, any vote can be bought.

The best we can do is to argue for reform, top to bottom. And if they do actually start to reform over half the work will be done, as the most dangerous time for a corrupt government is when it attempts to reform itself.

Once it collapses or gets pushed out, we can start electing people loyal to the Constitution instead of factions. And nobody has to die, although prison for a few might not be a bad idea.

I'd really like to live in a country where the government keeps the mob from my door. Living in one where the government batters down my door for the mob is getting a little old.

Albert Gallatin, quotes about Respect:

The whole of the Bill [of Rights] is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of.

Erwin N. Griswold, quotes about Respect:

The right to be let alone is the underlying principle of the Constitution's Bill of Rights.

No. Most people are totally clueless about how the Electoral College works. Anyone who is 18 and eligible to vote can serve on the Electoral College.

It's members are chosen at each political party's STATE conventions in each of the states as those conventions are held for upcoming Presidential elections.

The members only vote IF their party's candidate wins in their state. Except if the State they live in has another law on the books such as Maine and Nebraska. Recently Colorado passed some interesting legislation as it pertains to the Electoral College.

But your vote still counts. The hype that your vote doesn't count is an attempt to get you to support the abolition of the Electoral College which will bring about a one-sided political system.

But most people are too ignorant to understand that. If they fail to be able to understand how the Electoral College works in the first place what makes anyone think they can see the dangers of getting rid of the Electoral College?

States run elections not the federal government. Fannie and Freddie are examples of the corruption of a single government monopoly.

Our founders foresaw a social system consisting of competing state laboratories. Do you have something against competition? Competition brings out the best, and gives us the chance to choose to live in the state with the best services for the lowest taxes.

The electoral college is simply a mechanism for choosing the winner of the executive office in an expedient fashion. It is not a problem. The federal government is the problem. Read the constitution and especially savor the 10th amendment.

It's required by The Constitution. (yeah, it is. I actually read it)

The President of The United States is just what the title says. Not a leader of the people, but the chief executive of an organization of states.

Another way to put it: he's the States' president, not yours and mine.

We are a federation of independent States. The states vote for their President by sending delegates. Every state picks its delegates by popular election but they don't have to. Your state could make a law so that for 2012, your state's legislature just votes to appoint its delegates. Then you wouldn't even see Presidential candidates on your ballot. That would be perfectly legal and completely in keeping with our founding principles.

Source(s): Um . . . 2nd grade, I think.

Yes! I cannot believe it even exists! It is so bizarre, and I think our popular vote should be the only way to go. I am shocked that this electoral college system of voting has not been banished yet, but there is an ongoing movement. Check out the website below (which I cannot immediately endorse since I just found it).

True. If you're a democrat in Texas or a republican in New York, your vote really doesn't count. The current system turns the U.S.A. into a game board, and the states are pieces you can win. I believe that it has been challenged before, but the politicians have shot it down with B.S. responses. After the election is over, every American, Democrat, Republican, and Independent, should make it their duty to force our government to do away with electorIal college. It is UNCONSTITUTIONAL.

Zero 1 : Don't you see that's bull? If everyone's vote counts, why are Californian voters worth more than Rhode Islanders? All of these committees and points need to be done away with. And no, it wouldn't be a one sided political system. Gore won the popular vote in 2000, but Bush won in it 2004.

• TAT

You must be government educated. The electoral college was designed by the founding fathers. If you got an 8th grade history book, you would learn why. Won't waste my time explaining it to you.

True. Very true. I think it should be kind of like the delegate system that took place during the primaries. Not win are take all but depending on how many votes you have in each state.

The electoral college is MORE THEN FAIR. Y shoud big states get all the attention.

I agree, the system SHOULD be changed...but I ALSO think that it's important to get out there & get registered to vote (if you're of age & not already registered) & that everyone registered to vote should vote...As an American, I feel it's your DUTY to register to vote & vote if you're eligible...And despite what you say being true, I'm excited about this year's election...And I encourage EVERYONE to vote, NO MATTER WHO they vote for, whether it's for my candidate or not!