promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Biblical stories/parables on cheating?

I know this is a big question, but I'm trying to put on a short play based on stories in the Bible that focus on cheating. I'm looking for more than quotes on scripture, but actual stories. For example, Jacob 29 where he works for 7 years for Rachel's hand, but is given Leah. Any other suggestions? Thanks and blessings.

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The Ten Commandments (Exodus 20:1-17) prohibit lying and cheating specifically in the Eighth Commandment, which says, “You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor,” and also in the Seventh Commandment, “You shall not steal.” (Remember that cheating is a form of stealing.) Let’s take a brief look at this idea of “bearing false witness” before we go any further.

Jesus reminds us, for example, “Let your ‘Yes’ mean ‘Yes,’ and your ‘No’ mean ‘No’” (Matthew 5:37). Then there’s the parable where Jesus asks us to compare two sons (Matthew 21:28-31). The first son tells his father that he will not do his assigned chores, but later he is sorry and does them. The second son eagerly says he will do them but never really has any intention of following through.

The prophet Amos really tears into the wealthy people of his time who were cheating the poor—the worst kind of cheating imaginable—by overcharging them for the basic necessities of life (Amos 8).

Godspeed.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.