I tested negative for CMV and the future father of my baby is Positive for cmv? Will my baby be ok?

I'm worried that my child will have a serious illness!! What could be the outcomes?? What is the percentages my baby could be harmed>?? please help

The father is CMV IgG antibody Positive...currently he is CMV IgM antibody Negative

Favorite Answer

At this point you should be fine. If you aren't testing positive, then there is no reason to believe that you have passed it to the baby. Is the babies father actively infected or did he have it at some point in the past? If it was a past infection it shouldn't be a problem. About 50% of adults have been infected at one point or another. The infection rate is 0.3-1% of births and only about 10% of those cases result in any harm.

http://www.gov.mb.ca/health/publichealth/cdc/proto...

*so then at this point he probably doesn't have an active infection. IgG levels show longterm immunity- since he has had it before. IgM shows the immediate response and since it's negative he probably isn't actively infected. This only shows that he has had it in the past, your baby will probably be just fine. There is a really good resource called lab tests online that gives in depth details:http://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/c...

Source(s): I'm a Medical Technologist and I work in Virology

I'm not trying to scare you, but yes your baby can be in danger. It maybe a small chance though. But still inform you dr ASAP and he may have to perform an amniocentesis to check whether or not your baby is affect. I just looked it because I didn't want to give you the wrong. Also, CMV can be dormant in your system, so get tested for this regularly. Your's could be negative because it's dormant or you got lucky.

Please get this checked on ASAP. Hope all is well.

How is he positive and you negative, you had sex obviously unprotected sex. I heard some side effects to a unborn child with that can be born blind or deaf. You may want to talk to your doc about it and get tested again.